This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Last week, the world watched as the Emmys held an entirely virtual awards event, celebrating the small screen and the TV shows that we’ve all probably watched too many of this year. There was no red-carpet, no crowds, and no flashing cameras, but Zoom and webcams helped pull off a memorable night. One of the night’s biggest shocks came from Zendaya’s surprising win for her role in HBO’s Euphoria, making her the youngest actress ever to win an Emmy. In the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series, the 24-year-old former Disney star beat out big names such as Jennifer Aniston, Sandra Oh, and Olivia Coleman for the win. 

The win marks a huge milestone for the actress who many grew up watching on Disney’s TV show, “Shake It Off.” More recently, Zendaya starred in the hit musical “The Greatest Showman”, alongside Zach Efron. Euphoria centers around the teenage life of Rue (Zendaya), a struggling drug addict, and her circle of slightly misfit friends. Adapted from an Israeli show of the same name, the performance earned praise from critics and viewers for its over-the-top portrayal of teenage life’s struggles and incredible cinematography.

Purists and traditionalists questioned Zendaya’s Emmy win, as many were upset due to her age. However, it is a massive breakthrough for the award show circuit in regards to representation and diversity. Back in 2015, the Oscars faced scrutiny over the lack of POC nominees with the #OscarsSoWhite movement. With anger and protests across the nation and world over police-brutality and systematic racism, it seems more important than ever to have representation in media of all races, especially with big-time award shows. Zendaya, the now-youngest female Emmy winner, also happens to be bi-racial and a fierce advocate for racial and gender equality. The world might seem bleak at the moment, but she gives us a reason to smile. 

While stunning haute-couture displays on the red carpet are yet another COVID-related casualty, Zendaya made the most out of the situation by showing off not one but two incredible gowns. She first wore a purple silk taffeta gown by Christopher John Rogers to present an early award, complete with elegant Bulgari jewelry and Louboutin heels. She then appeared on the live stream to accept her award in a custom Giorgio Armani Privé set, which featured a floor-length polka dot weave skirt, a nod to classic Hollywood glamour, and a sparkling bandeau top that shone as brightly as Zendaya’s simile.

This year’s awards shows might not be the same, but at least there are some bright sides. Zendaya stood out during the Emmys, and we’ll get to see more of her soon. She’s starring alongside Timothée Chamelet (~swoon~) in the latest movie adaptation of sci-fi novel Dune, which will hopefully come out later this year.

Hi! I’m Addie, an amateur dog mom, fashion enthusiast and want-to-be jet-setter. When I’m not writing about college style or studying at Colgate University, you can find me at the gym, spending way too much online shopping and hanging out with friends (usually with copious amounts of cheese boards and pizza). Proud member of Bachelor Nation.
Courtney Day

Colgate '22

Courtney Day is the Campus Correspondent for the Colgate University chapter of Her Campus. She is an English major, minoring in both Political Science and Writing & Rhetoric, and is a member of the Women's Varsity Lacrosse team.