tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Your Guide to a Great Date in Hamilton, NY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Hamilton is a charming city, but in the time of Tinder swipes and impersonal parties, it’s easy for hopeless romantics to lose sight of the classic date night ritual. If you want to set yourself apart and make a real impression on your campus crush, ask them on a date — it’s a bold move that they won’t forget. Tell them where and when, and maybe pick them up too; here are some ways to keep it casual or dress it up: 

1. Paint your own pottery at Village Clay

Feeling artsy? Share an intimate, creative moment at Village Clay’s pottery studio, where you can paint your own pots, mugs, and dishes. The studio, which stands at 37 Milford Street, is also a space where you can get your hands dirty and throw your own pot. Bring your sweetheart here to make a keepsake — when you see it, you’ll think of each other!

1. Grab ice cream at Maxwell’s

With a great variety of flavors and toppings, Maxwell’s old-school ice cream bar has long been a staple of Hamilton’s community. You’ve been there with your friends, so why not bring your date? Sit at the bar, grab a sundae, and goof off over some treats. You’re sure to make a sweet connection. 

1. Catch a jazz show at the Palace Theater

Here’s one of Hamilton’s hidden secrets: the Palace Theater’s jazz scene. If your date is into music, you’re sure to impress them with a local jazz show. Reel them in with a sultry saxophone and a sweet piano line — you can keep up with the theater’s schedule on their website and visit them at 19 Utica Street. 

1. Dinner at the Colgate Inn

If you’re looking to make a more upscale impression, bring your date to the Colgate Inn, where a menu of fine-dining options awaits them. Be warned: this date pulls out all of the stops — we’re talking steak, seafood, and a candle-lit ambiance to match. Wear something nice, and pull out their chair; you’ll have your date blushing. 

1. Movie Night at the Hamilton Theater

Here’s a classic: movie night! Bring your date to the Hamilton Theater to see the latest, whether it’s an adventure film or something more romantic. Sharing the experience of a movie will give you lovebirds something to talk about, so a second date will surely be in order.  

Wherever you take your date, you’ll notice that Hamilton has that special, small-town spark. Now get yourself out there! You’ve got this!

Tate Fonda

Colgate '25

Tate Fonda is a third-year student at Colgate University with concentrations in Neuroscience and English. She writes for University News and the Maroon, and in her free time, she collects vinyl records and broadcasts a radio show.