This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

The second season to a show that had an extremely successful first season is often difficult to live up to. With Bridgerton season one racking up rave reviews, many wondered whether its captivating characters and stories would diminish with Daphne Bridgerton’s story concluding. This was especially a concern given that it was confirmed that Regé-Jean Page would not be returning to the show to play heart-throb Simon Bassett, the Duke of Hastings. However, after watching Season Two, it can be argued that this was absolutely not the case. In fact, the release of Season Two sparked debates as to which season is better. 

Here’s why Season Two of Bridgerton is worth the watch. 

Although we do not see the Duke this season, we do see Daphne and their baby boy, Auggie, offering a sense of familiarity and closure regarding their storyline. This, alongside Anthony’s good looks, distracts us from Simon’s absence. Mentions of him ensure that he hasn’t been erased or forgotten from the plot. 

The season picks up a year after Daphne’s courting season. This time, Eloise is the new debutante, a position she has been reluctant to fill since the start. Meanwhile, Anthony embarks on the quest for a wife. In Season One, Anthony was, in many ways, unlikeable. The second season depicts him in a different and much more flattering light. We learn about his father and their relationship, and why he is so adamant on fulfilling his duty as Viscount and head of household — all without love. 

He has his eyes set on Edwina Sharma, this year’s diamond of the season. He not only has to win her heart but the likings of her sister, Kate Sharma. However, his mission becomes easier said than done. To his surprise, he is captivated by Kate instead. The enemies to lovers, slow burn love story leaves you wanting more every episode. Intense eye contact, heavy breathing and nose kisses left fans speechless. One line is especially heart wrenching: “All I find myself thinking about, all I find myself being able to breathe for…is you.”

The introduction to the Sharma sisters, Kate and Edwina, presents a strong sisterly bond strained but not overpowered by the likes of a man. With the inclusion of the Sharma sisters comes the language, clothes, and traditional ceremonies representative of South Asian and Indian culture. The characters stray from stereotypical roles, much to the delight of fans. 

Not only do we see strong sisterly bonds, but brotherly bonds as well. We see shared screen time between the Bridgerton brothers. Notable scenes include  a playful fencing match between Anthony, Benedict, and Colin, as well as a scene where Benedict teaches Anthony poetry. A heartwarming moment between Anthony and his youngest brother, Gregory, captures the influence of Anthony on his younger brothers, who look up to him. Scenes between all the brothers are full of lots of humor and love. 

Viewers also get more insight on the Bridgerton siblings, in addition to other characters. Little easter eggs are planted in episodes that hint at what (and who) lies ahead in their futures. Audiences are also left with many questions surrounding Lady Whistledown. Season Two truly does a wonderful job of building up excitement and questions surrounding upcoming stories and the future of Lady Whistledown — and I’ve only just touched the surface.

With this, Bridgerton season 2 is a must watch. I know I’ll be rewatching for the millionth time this week alone. 

Reanna is a freshman at Colgate University potentially majoring in International Relations and minoring in Peace and Conflict Studies and Writing and Rhetoric. On campus, she is a side base on the Varsity Cheerleading and is in The Swinging ‘Gates A Capella Group. In her free time, she reads romance books, watches 90s/early 2000s tv shows and movies, and listens to 90s/early 2000s R&B music.