Surviving the April/March Weather Swap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

March flowers bring April snow showers. Or so it appears. If you’re one of the poor souls who optimistically opted to swap your snow boots for sandals at home over spring break, know that you’re not alone. But before you call your mom begging her to pay the $23 express shipping for your snow boots and big jacket, try these tips that I have tried and approve of for surviving the April/March swap.

1. Run to all your classes

Hustling between academic buildings limits your outdoor exposure, while also allowing you to work up a light sweat. Worst case, you slip on ice in your inappropriately summery shoes, fall, and get campo to drive you around for the next two weeks

2. Bring your lightest fracket to the jug

Chances are most people left their heavy frackets at home and are on the lookout to steal other people’s. Your light sweater will not be an ideal object for the jug thieves and will therefore not be stolen. Better a light jacket than none on your snowy walk home.

3. Become a jug thief

Drive yourself over to the jug on a busy night, soberly pay the $5 to get in, and weave your way through the mass of drunk kids as you scour the hooks for the nicest jacket you can find. $5 is cheaper than the $23 express shipping.

4. Publicize the extreme tundra of your campus at every chance you have

If there’s one thing you can guarantee about any Colgate student, it’s that they snapchat incessantly and never fail to include the temperature filter to prove that their school is the coldest of all their home friends’. This is your chance to further prove that not only is Colgate the coldest and snowiest for the longest, you can prove that you are the hardo you claim to be who survives these tundra conditions in nothing more than ripped jeans, converse, and a cardigan.

5. Set photographs of Colgate in the summer as your background for every device you own

If you are constantly barraged with images of what Colgate should look like, you’ll eventually start to get sick of it. The green grass and blossoming trees will be so annoying to look at so often that you come to appreciate the wintery snowglobe you’re stuck in for 8 months of the year.

Before you know it, you’ll once again become accustomed to the harsh winds and slippery pathways. Of course as soon as you settle back into your winter hibernation, summer will probably come back to campus. Then you and your mom will surely be grateful that you saved that $23 for a new sundress in May.