Style > Beauty

Sunkissed, Bronzed, and Clean: A Spring Beauty Regimen

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Each spring, the start of a new season marks the beginning of easy, breezy makeup looks that will carry us to summer. As the sun starts to kiss your skin, try a natural look to enhance the natural reds and bronzes of your face. This process begins, of course, with self-love. At a time when beauty innovation is at an all-time high, a gentle, clean beauty routine is key for anyone seeking a fresh start this season.

Let’s begin with skincare, shall we?

A double cleanse is all the rage right now — it’s a simple way to ensure products such as sunscreen and makeup are really washed off at the end of the day. It works like this: your first cleanse consists of an oil-based cleanser, and you follow it with a water-based cleanser. For its gentle formula, Image Skincare’s oil-based Cleansing Comfort Balm has amassed a crew of celebrity fans, including Margot Robbie, Shay Mitchell, and Jennifer Coolidge. Follow this cleanser with a water-based product, such as CeraVe’s Hydrating Facial Cleanser, for  squeaky-clean, unstripped skin.

Follow your double cleanse with a simple, replenishing regimen to nourish the skin. Barrier-repairing serum(s), such as Krave Beauty’s Great Barrier Relief, contain multiple super-i ingredients in one. This serum’s fragrance-free formula contains vitamin E, squalane, and lactic acid, among other reparative ingredients. It’s always best to keep it simple, so stick to your cleanser, serum, and moisturizer routine to feel super supple in just three steps. But don’t forget the sunscreen! Krave Beauty’s Beet the Sun product offers the glowiest, non-streaky finish I’ve tried. 

When it’s time for makeup, you can still keep it simple — using a blush stick is one way to get multiple uses out of one pocket-sized product. Find your favorite shade of Apple Doll Cosmetics’ True Love Blush to use on your lips, cheeks, high forehead, and outer eyelids to simulate the flush, blushed appearance of sun kissed skin. This heart-shaped blush stick is perfect for a get-ready-with-me worthy look! Gloss your pout with the Apple Doll Lip Salve to seal in the color with thick, lasting moisture. 

For your eyes, a brown or maroon mascara is one way to accentuate your lashes without a dramatic change. If you want to try these shades at a low cast, L’Oreal’s Voluminous Original Mascara has a tried-and-true formula in both brown and burgundy. These shades especially compliment the warmth of a sun-kissed and bronzed look. 

Fragrance-wise, it’s nice to pick a product that fits in your purse. Keep your blush stick, gloss, and mascara company with a fruity or floral scent, such as Jo Malone’s Pear & Freesia or Replica’s From the Garden (tomato leaf and green mandarin notes) scents, both of which are available in a travel size.

Once you find your go-to, portable products, you’ll be ready to welcome this spring with supple skin and a sun kissed appearance. 

Tate Fonda

Colgate '25

Tate Fonda is a third-year student at Colgate University with concentrations in Neuroscience and English. She writes for University News and the Maroon, and in her free time, she collects vinyl records and broadcasts a radio show.