This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Even though it’s currently sleeting/snowing, after last week’s heat wave I’m confident that spring is on its way.  But no matter when the warm weather actually arrives, now is the time to start your spring cleaning. Pack away your winter jackets and cords in exchange for lighter layers like skirts and sundresses.  With events like formals and SPW rapidly approaching, it’s best to start your online shopping now (as if you ever stopped), so you’ll be ready for the festivities.  To make you a little less overwhelmed, here are some of the most popular trends of the spring season that you may want to check out: 

1. Color blocking:
Bold, solid colors work best when trying this trend. Any bright color will work, but try to stick to three colors at most to avoid looking too much like a rainbow.  BothLuLu’s and Bloomingdales both have many cute color block options.
2. Prints: Any bold print!Prints range from oversize florals to geometric shapes to swirling graphics, so take your pick.  These 7 For All Mankind shorts are perfect for the spring- they are printed and pastel.  Not into shorts? Try a printed dress instead.
3. Colored Camo:  This spring camo trend takes a lighter approach with soft, pastel colors. 

4. Doily Lace:
Lace has always been a major trend, it’s always looks classic. And this lace dress won’t break the bank.
5. Crop Tops: These shirts are so easy to throw on.  Match them with jean shorts and you’ll instantly look cute which definitely makes them a great go-to for all the daytime activities on SPW.
6. Mesh Around: Mesh cutouts on dresses or tops are great for weekends out.  Asos.com and NastyGal.com are both great online stores to check out if you want something relatively flirty but nothing too overdone like this dress.

Caroline Tocci is a Colgate '13 post-grad living in NYC. Besides working as an editorial assistant at Scholastic, she enjoys running, traveling, sailing, cooking, cheering for the Patriots, reading, and writing, of course. You can check out her blog Caroline's Cucina at http://www.carolinescucina.tumblr.com or follow her on Twitter, @carolinetocci. 
Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!