While Colgate as we know it has certainly changed and we now spend most of ourtime in our dorm rooms, it is still important to find the little things that get yououtside. For me, that’s food. Going into the village for a meal with friends can be afun way to break out of the house and sample some of the foods that localrestaurants have to offer. Here are my top 5 favorite places in Hamilton to grab aquick bite:
5. Flour and SaltYou can always count on Flour and Salt to satisfy your bagel cravings. Whether itbe a bacon, egg, and cheese or just a plain bagel with cream cheese, this is yourplace. I recommend looking at the menu for the many unique breakfast sandwichesthey offer, and pay special attention to my favorite, The Colgate! You can alsomaster your own sandwich creation with the impressive list of ingredient options.Make sure to place your order online for an easy grab and go option!
4. Buenos TacosBuenos Tacos is the “new kid on the block” in regards to local restuarants. Itopened its doors this summer and brought exactly what Hamilton was lacking, agood Mexican restaurant. They have a variety of tasty Mexican dishes, but my
3. The Rye Berry CaféRye Berry is definitely a staple for Colgate students. While some of the charmcomes from sitting inside on the comfy couches, they are currently only open fortakeout. I personally recommend the veggie scramble, the turkey sandwich, and thegrilled cheese w/ tomato soup, but check out their online menu to see anassortment of savory options! Although it is a little disappointing that Rye Berry isnot open on Saturdays, you can stop by their stand at the farmers market to pick uptheir specialty breads and pastries.
2. Hamilton EateryThe Eatery is a modern take on a classic deli, and is definitely my go-to for a quicksandwich or salad. Their mac and cheese is by far the best in Madison county, andon special occasions they make buffalo mac and cheese which is even tastier. Irecommend the Big Willy, one of the Eatery’s classic sandwiches, which is turkey,cheddar, tomato, and guacamole on toasted sour dough. Be sure to take advantageof their online order option for a super easy and efficient pick up!
1. FoJo Beans.This is possibly an unpopular opinion, but I would rank FoJo Beans at number onefor Hamilton’s local restaurants. When FoJo came to town during my sophomoreyear I was excited for a new coffee shop, but little did I know they had gourmetfood too. While this sounds cheesy, the food is made with love and the owners andworkers are so excited to hear feedback from Colgate students. Their menu is farfrom a basic coffee shop and they serve a variety of specialty sandwiches, soups,and salads. The menu features an array of grilled cheeses, including my twofavorites: the Pineapple and Brie and the Portabella Mushroom. Their courtyard inthe back is the perfect place to eat lunch or drink coffee before it gets too cold. Youcan even add CBD to any of the drinks to make the experience even more relaxing.Definitely check out FoJo Beans if you haven’t already!