This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

The COVID-19 Pandemic has certainly shifted the way we think about school. Rather than going to four classes a day and seeing our classmates and teachers in person, many of us are now cooped up in our rooms to take classes over Zoom. While this was definitely a lifestyle change, having online classes is not always so bad. Here are some pros and cons of remote classes: 

Pro #1- You can wake up 5 minutes before class

Remote learning allows you to wake up right before class and still be on time. There is no longer the stress of making the cruiser in the morning to get you up the hill for class, or the embarrassment of people watching you sprint across the path because you are already late. For me personally, I no longer dread the 8:30 AM class that previously seemed so brutal. Now I can wake up at 8:25, brush my teeth, open my computer, and still have time to spare before class begins. 

Con #1- Lack of Socialization

While remote classes do save some time in the morning, there is a con to them in that you can go the whole semester without meeting your classmates in person. Because everything is done through your computer, at times it can feel very isolating and extremely hard to collaborate with your peers since the only means of communication are through technology. That being said, it is important to schedule walks with friends throughout the week to get your daily dose of socialization! 

Pro #2- Accessibility/Flexibility

With remote classes, you can take class from any location. No longer do you have to worry about getting to a specific classroom, because any place in the world could be your classroom. You can take class from your house, your college dorm, or even somewhere across the country and it is not a disadvantage. Remote classes allow students more flexibility, which is always a plus for our busy college lives. 

Con #2- Distracting 

While taking class from any location sounds like an ideal situation, the flexibility can also allow for a lot of distractions. I find myself constantly checking my phone, which is always right next to me, and scrolling aimlessly through Instagram. Also, I always have so many tabs open on my computer with either work for my other classes or clothing websites that distracts me through my Zoom classes. There is also no one to call you out for being distracted, so it is your own responsibility to stay focused. 

Pro #3- Efficiency

Similar to waking up five minutes before class, I find that with remote classes I have so much more space in my schedule. Because I am not spending the time physically getting to class, I have more time to myself between classes. I usually spend this time working out or hanging out with friends, which I would never normally be able to do during the class day. 

Con #3- Technical Difficulties

Finally, one of the most obvious cons is that technology is not always dependable. There have been many times during class when I have lost internet connection and I either can’t hear anything or my class can’t hear me. I find that especially during presentations, something always seems to go wrong. Relying on technology or a weak connection can be stressful, but also is normally quickly fixed. 

Overall, while remote classes are a big adjustment, there are silver linings and benefits to being able to take your classes from your computer that we should all take advantage of. 

Hi! I am a junior at Colgate University majoring in Psychology.
Courtney Day

Colgate '22

Courtney Day is the Campus Correspondent for the Colgate University chapter of Her Campus. She is an English major, minoring in both Political Science and Writing & Rhetoric, and is a member of the Women's Varsity Lacrosse team.