Style > Beauty

Project Beauty: Love Yourself No Matter the Shape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Welcome to Colgate! We are referred to as a skinny campus, but what exactly does that mean? Essentially, this title infers that our student body boasts the coveted thigh gap and barely-there waistline that are ever-present on the double-zero models that invade pop culture.  This is a problem… in fact this is the root of all of our problems. We generalize beauty, a concept so complex that it holds no concrete definition. How can we continue to thrive in a culture that perpetuates unrealistic body images? Do we foster a space that defines beauty with a number on a scale? Must we disregard the subjectivity and relativism of the concept of beauty as a whole? The answer is a resounding no. The answer is to change our perception on beauty.

Project Beauty is an organization at Colgate that sheds light on the issues of body dysmorphia that are present on campus. Personal experience and the increasingly apparent issues discovered in other young women on campus inspired Emily Sisto ’16 and Alyssa Berger ’16 to create this organization.  On campus, there is a significant amount of pressure placed on physical appearance and this inherently increases negative body image issues. It is important to cultivate a space where everyone is comfortable in his or her own skin. The reality is, you will never have the same body as another person.

It is time we face this situation head on. Weight is just a number, it does not…can not…and will not define you as a person.  Our bodies come in all shapes, sizes and forms and that needs to be accepted.  There is no such thing as the perfect body. Perfection, just like beauty is in the eyes of the beholder…cheesy I know, but its true. It is similar to your taste in fashion or food. In no way can the opinion of one or even a few individuals determine your value. On that note, I have to mention that the opinions of others are irrelevant and you need to perpetuate your own self-love. Love is a funny thing, and luckily, it can be contagious. If you learn to love and accept yourself the way you are, other people will be compelled to do the same.  At the end of the day, indulge in your life and do what makes you happy without worrying about the opinions of others!

Last March, Project Beauty brought in Stacy Nadeau, a model for the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty, who said, “ I challenge you to find your own best, healthy self, where mental health and physical health meet in the middle.” This happy medium that she speaks of needs to be every individuals end game. We need to be at a place where we are happy with how we look and how we feel, both mentally and physically. Her presentation showed how deep the obsession to achieve an unattainable body image actually is. She spoke of the unhealthy habits that were fueled by this obsession, including eating disorders and depression. What I found to be most interesting was one heartbreaking statistic she showed claiming, “only 2% of women around the world considered themselves beautiful.” This is not acceptable. I cannot put it any other way. This statistic can go nowhere but up, but in order for change to happen, we have to take initiative and that starts with holding our individual selves accountable.

It is important that we stand together, that we build each other up instead of tearing one another down. We must be there for one another and for ourselves.  We have to end the long checklists about what we wish we could change about our body.  Nadeau said, “ Stop bonding over conversations we don’t like about our bodies. Let’s change the conversation.” Let’s change the perspective of the conversation!  In doing so, we can develop a more confident, optimistic outlook about our bodies no matter the shape or size.

Project Beauty wants to be a support group on campus,  letting the student body know that bodies are not meant to reflect one another. There isn’t a correct image, but there is beauty in the disparity of the sizes and shapes of the human form. Ultimately, remember to love yourself and know that beauty is a product of diversity.

If you are having body image issues or know someone that is, do not be a bystander, reach out a helping hand. Join Project Beauty and follow them on twitter. Do not suffer in silence, this is our problem and we can solve it together

Morgan is a junior at Colgate University where she majors in Creative Writing and minors in Film & Media Studies.  On campus, Morgan is a New Member Educator for greek life's Kappa Kappa Gamma.  When she's not under stacks of English literature in the library, you can find her watching old reruns of Laguna Beach with her co-correspondent leader, Caroline Parsons.  An avid listener of country music, interior design fanatic, and diehard Bachelor spectator.  Check out the blogs and articles produced by Morgan, Caroline, and their diverse (just as weird) team of writers!