This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

At college, the struggle between crispy french fries dipped in salty ketchup or a green salad with fresh vegetables is so real. With all that Frank, the Coop, and the myriad of places near Colgate Universtity have to offer to students, trying to find a balance between healthy and taste-bud-satisfying food presents itself as an everyday challenge. I, along with three of my close friends, took the challenge a step further: the paleo diet for a week. The paleo diet is considered the healthiest way of eating because it works with your body to help you stay lean, strong and energetic. The catch is that the Paleo diet presents a limited menu: meat, fruits, and vegetables…no pasta, no bread, no french fries. No ice cream, or brownies, or cookies! Not even salad dressing is considered paleo. Oh, and did I mention no coffee? (Luckily for me I’m not a fan of coffee, but it seems to me that I stand alone in that category) We accepted the challenge with confidence, and ended our journey with surprising content.

Usually my daily meal plan went something like this:Breakfast: a bowl of fruit (varying from honeydew, cantaloupe, strawberries, apples)Lunch: a piece of chicken, broccoli, and an appleDinner: chicken, broccoli, carrots, and an appleDessert: fruit (usually, you guessed it…an apple)Snacks: Coop smoothies, sunflower seeds, almonds, and avocados

Almost everyone of my staple meals was from Frank, and the occasional Coop smoothie helped me overcome the dissatisfying meal I had eaten before. Entering Frank, I knew my options would be limited, but never did I realize the reality of how confined they truly were. I found myself going in circles, bumping into people with full plates of food in their hands, in contrast to my barren platter.

Although I always found something to eat eventually, the more monumental problem I encountered was the size of my portions. Since options were constricted, it was hard to achieve that full feeling you get after eating a warm plate of mashed potatoes with gravy, or a roll of sushi with spicy mayo. After almost five days, I never wanted to see another apple or piece of broccoli again. Simple pleasures such as salad dressing, ketchup, or table salt that usually tie a meal together are absent in the paleo diet.

Late night munchies and dinner in town definitely got the best of me. While I stared at my friends eating Lucky Charms, peanut butter, and frozen yogurt, I stared at my non-existent plate with two cups of water to try to appease my howling stomach. Going out to eat on the weekends, especially The Eatery, wasn’t a question. Despite my friends offering to bring me back something, I was quick to say no and head to Frank to repeat the usual meal: chicken, broccoli, and an apple.

Although the diet was hard to complete, there were some physical benefits I felt during my five days. I found myself feeling energized from even the smaller portioned meals I had. Not only was I more animated, but I also didn’t feel the need to nap, something I found myself needing everyday of the week. The Paleo diet not only tested the food here at Colgate, but also my ability to control what I ate for the benefit of my health. Although I felt rejuvenated from not consuming soda, chips, and basically everything sugary, the Paleo diet is the most reasonable yet healthy alternative to a nutritional method of eating. If you’re up for it, I challenge you to try the Paleo diet too. Even if it’s only for a day, it’ll help you become more conscious about what you’re putting into your body, and you’ll soon realize the struggle between french fries and salad isn’t truly a struggle at all.