This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

College is stressful. Fact. 

There are no ways to deal with stress on campus. Fiction. 

At this point in the semester, even if midterms have come and gone, life on a college campus can be stressful. This can be attributed to academics, extracurricular responsibilities, social situations, and more; the list goes on forever Moreover, it can seem like finding ways on campus to deal with that stress is almost as daunting as the cause in the first place. The thing is, in my experience, being aware and actively finding ways to engage these emotions both helps them pass easier and won’t impact you or your academics in the long run. National Stress Awareness Day is on November 1st, and the perfect time to learn more about on campus resources. 

On campus, there are often centers curated to support students with their mental health and wellness concerns. At Colgate specifically, there is the Shaw Wellness Institute and Campus Counseling and Psychological services which are available everyday to students. Aside from these centers, I have found that reaching out to an advisor is another, less daunting means of talking about and finding solutions to any school related stress. They know your schedule and have engaged with you at some point in your college career, and therefore are equipped to help ease your worries on those academic related concerns which, while not always the root of one’s stress, can be a contributing factor. Moreover, they are (ideally) available throughout the semester, scheduled or drop-in notwithstanding. 

Alternatively, I have found that sometimes talking to others is more stressful than helpful. Therefore, in the past I have often subscribed to a more individual approach. I often try to find time, weekly, to mediate or just disconnect. The assignments, I realized, will always be there, and thus taking time to just breathe (LoFi and a warm drink not required but recommended) can be an excellent way to put things in perspective. Additionally, I find that finding small tasks that I can accomplish easily helps me level out when things feel overwhelming. Lastly, this may be cliché, but going out and doing an activity that gets you out of your head and moving is another way I have utilized to de-stress and doesn’t require you to travel far from campus. 

Destressing can take a multitude of forms, so even if none of those listed here appeal to you these are not the only options available. So find that confidant, find that instrumental playlist and take a breath, or get out and go exercising, grocery shopping, or, even stargazing (I have subscribed to all three) and I promise you’ll get through your semester and be successful while you’re at it. 

College is stressful. 

Correction—College can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to stay that way.

Halle Kuhar-Pitters is a first time writer at Her Campus Colgate University chapter. She covers topics pertaining to solo student travel, general in-semester health & wellness, and entertainment coverage (mainly books and movie reviews) for the site. Outside of Her Campus, Halle's experience stems from working and writing as a summer research fellow at the Adirondack Foundation, as well as being a research assistant within the Environmental Studies department at Colgate University. She is currently a senior at Colgate University. Her studies include a major in Environmental Studies, accompanied by minors in both Writing & Rhetoric and Africana Studies and Latin American Studies (with a Caribbean emphasis). She is interested in pursuing a science writing or creative writing advanced degree following her graduation next spring. Last spring she was one of the winners of the Colgate University Department of Writing & Rhetoric Trimmer Writing Prize for her previous work. During her free time between classes and writing she enjoys reading historical fiction and mystery novels, re-watching the same 10 movies and television series repeatedly, and spending time with friends and family members. She also loves anything autumn themed, especially sweets, as well as finding the time to create new and different coffee combinations.