Movember Mustaches are Back: Watch Out Ladies!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

November is one of the most controversial months of the year. Girls tend to hate it and boys tend to love it. The craze of MOVEMBER has come upon us. For boys it’s an easy excuse not to shave their face for four months and simply embrace the ugly caterpillar. For girls it’s a moment of horror when you see the boy (you thought was cute) turn the corner and the only reaction you are capable of making is raising your eyebrows and dropping your jaw. That’s right ladies, the scary mustaches are here to stay.

But that is just the surface of Movember. The Movember Foundation is a global charity committed to men living healthier, longer lives. Since 2003, millions have joined the men’s health movement, raising $650 million and funding over 1,000 programs focusing on prostate cancer, testicular cancer, poor mental health and physical inactivity. Movember is an incredible charity event that is so simple. It has been incredibly impactful since its creation and does not look like it is going anywhere soon. Not only has Movember raised an extraordinary amount of money, it has also become a world-wide symbol. Everyone knows that November is the month of the year when boys will start growing out their facial hair as an act of solidarity to support the wonderful cause.

Here at Colgate, we are happy to announce that members of the Men’s Varsity Hockey team have created a fund and are raising money for the Movember Foundation. In speaking with Tim Harrison, a junior on the team earlier this week, he said it is extremely important to participate in Movember.  He explained that the team chose to participate in Movember because “it’s a cool and unique way for us to be involved in a great cause, raise some money, and look interesting while doing so!” He even went on to address that the best part is the variety of mustache looks. For example, he stated, “I know Emilio Audi, who actually set up the Movember page for us, grows a very faint Italian mustache while Charlie Finn on the other hand grows a mean stache.”  It’s incredible to see fellow Colgate students taking the lead on philanthropic issues and as you can see, by catching a glimpse of the team members walking around campus, this cause is not going to go unnoticed!

So next time you see a boy with some outrageous facial hair or a faint line under their nose, think twice before you judge. You never know what lies behind the stache. Also, make sure to donate to the Men’s hockey team Movember page, the link can be located at the bottom of this article! In addition peep Coach Vaughan supporting the cause as well!

http://mobro.co/colgatemih