Kevin McNamara ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Name:Kevin McNamara
Hometown: Chestnut Hill, MA
Class Year: 2012
Major: Sociology
 Minor:Creative Writing 

Campus Involvement:Men’s Hockey Team, Co-Founder (with John Lidgett) of the Tim Riggins Fan Club, and Founder of Goals For Good

Favorite thing about Colgate:Trivia night. We almost won once.

Favorite Colgate memory:Taking down “The Ultimate ’08ers” at the 2010 Terry Slater Memorial Golf Tournament

Tell us about Goals for Good and the current auction: Goals For Good is a competitive charitable platform that revolves around college hockey. Each team in the ECAC has partnered with a charity in close relation to their team, school and/or community. The teams raise money for their charity by getting family, friends, fans, and alumni to donate money per goal and/or per win that they get over the course of the season at http://www.GoalsForGood.org. The team that raises the most money will receive a $1,500 donation to their local food cupboard. The rankings are updated each week, and currently, Colgate and our partner, the Brendan Borek High Tides Memorial Fund, are in first place.

We are currently running an auction with the women’s team’s Autism Awareness Project to benefit Autism Speaks and all of the Goals For Good charities. There are some pretty cool items up for grabs such as an autographed Sidney Crosby jersey, an autographed Ray Allen jersey, and an autographed Jim Craig ’80 Olympics Team USA jersey to name a few. All of the information on the auction can be found on the main page of the Goals For Good site. The auction ends on February 18th.

How’d you come up with Goals For Good?  I was hurt my sophomore year and missed the entire season. During this time, I got the chance to see how much work and support goes into the hockey program. It took me a while to get Goals For Good started, but I wanted to figure out a way to thank the Hamilton and Colgate community. Goals For Good grew from there.

Upon graduation, what do you hope to do?:  I’m planning on playing hockey professionally, as well as continuing to build Goals For Good to other leagues and possibly other sports.  

You can support Kevin’s charitable organization by donating online.  Colgate can win this competition (we’re currently in the lead), but your help is needed.  You can donate to either the men or women’s team since all the donations from both teams will be combined and sent to the Brendan Borek High Tides Memorial Fund.  Be sure to check out http://auction.gocolgateraiders.com/to bid on some of the items before the auction ends this Saturday! 

Caroline Tocci is a Colgate '13 post-grad living in NYC. Besides working as an editorial assistant at Scholastic, she enjoys running, traveling, sailing, cooking, cheering for the Patriots, reading, and writing, of course. You can check out her blog Caroline's Cucina at http://www.carolinescucina.tumblr.com or follow her on Twitter, @carolinetocci. 
Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!