This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

If your parents are anything like mine, and you are anything like me, they are always asking the same question: why don’t you take advantage of the resources Colgate provides? It is a question I have grown all too familiar with, and in the pre-COVID era when our great university hosted many reputable speakers, I tried to make a point of going to the lectures that piqued my interest. However, given the circumstances we now find ourselves living in, I have had to become more crafty in the ways I could benefit from Colgate beyond the four classes I take each semester. As a student who is minoring in Film and Media studies, I was familiar with the streaming platform Kanopy but had never taken advantage of its impressive assortment of movies until this year. Its layout is much like that of popular streaming giants, Netflix and Hulu, but the best part of all is that it is available to any Colgate students regardless of major, free of any additional charge. To give you an idea of the types of movies offered through the service, I listed my top 4 movies I have watched so far, and why you should watch them too.                        

1. RBG

If you’re a documentary buff like me and also a fan of RBG (because who isn’t?) this film is a must-see. The movieoffers an intimate account of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, following her career from the very beginning to near the end. This movie helped RBG become a well-known pop phenomenon and a figurehead of the feminist movement. This movie both made me shed tears of laughter and genuine sadness. On top of making you feel all the feels, it was directed by one of Colgate’s own, Julie Cohen.            

2. Lady Bird

I am a sucker for coming-of-age movies, and for me, this movie will always take the cake in that genre. This movie is the perfect combination of romance, comedy, and the real-life struggles that come with trying to grow up. Saoirse Ronan plays Lady Bird, an angsty teenager who believes she is destined for bigger and better things than her hometown of Sacramento offers her. Her relationship with her mother will tug at your heartstrings, and if that isn’t enough to convince you to watch, Timothée Chalamet is in the film (I think this just about speaks for itself).

3. Memento                        

If you are a fan of some of the non-linear, distinctive films Christopher Nolan is known for, Memento is a must-see. While it may not have the special effects many of his blockbuster movies have, such as Interstellar and Inception, this movie will leave you asking questions until the very end. The entire experience of watching this movie is absorbing from start to end, and if you are confused, don’t worry- so was I. The confusion, while at times frustrating, is Nolan’s intention. Even though this film was released twenty years ago, Memento is still undoubtedly one of the most original and unique thrillers I have ever had the pleasure of seeing.

4. Ex Machina

If you are like me and enjoy the occasional sci-fi movie, Ex Machina has it all. Despite this movie being listed under both the sci-fi and thriller categories, it’s critique of AI brings up many questions that are heavily debated today, including just how life-like we should be making AI. While this is an idea that has been told through movies and tv shows time and time again, the way it is executed results in a fresh and vibrant film. While not as relevant to the plot, I think it is also worth noting the incredible scenery this film offers. In a time where we are all confined to our houses or dorms, this movie offers an escape to a landscape many of us have only dreamed of.

Annie Oldham

Colgate '22

Annie Oldham is a junior at Colgate University majoring in Sociology with a minor in Film and Media Studies.
Courtney Day

Colgate '22

Courtney Day is the Campus Correspondent for the Colgate University chapter of Her Campus. She is an English major, minoring in both Political Science and Writing & Rhetoric, and is a member of the Women's Varsity Lacrosse team.