This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Taylor Swift has been dominating the music scene for as long as I can remember. As a member of Gen Z, I grew up listening to Taylor Swift and watching her take on the challenges of the spotlight. Taylor’s music provides me with a type of nostalgic comfort. She has a song for every occasion, every mood, every state, and every feeling you have or will experience.

Even if you’re not a Swiftie, you have to acknowledge that she is a seriously talented, lyrical genius. She possesses an incredible ability to storytell through her songs by creating characters and analyzing her own life experiences. Though Taylor maintains a private personal life, her music still reaches a wide variety of audiences. 

Taylor’s most recent challenge in the spotlight has been her drama with entertainment executive Scooter Braun. After Braun prevented Taylor from owning her first six albums, she re-recorded them in order to own her own music (but that’s a whole nother article.) The re-recording allows us all to relive the Taylor “eras” alongside her. Not many artists, at least in our time, have their own distinct “eras” for each album they produce, and I think that’s what distinguishes her from other musicians. She has tapped into so many different genres, sounds, and fashion statements to reinvent her persona every time she steps out on stage or in public. 

Fans expected Taylor to finish re-recording her old albums before releasing an entirely new one! I can’t lie –I’m excited for Midnights. Being a Taylor Swift fan is fun because she keeps everyone on their toes; you never know what surprises are in store next. No one drops an album out of the blue quite as casually as she does. Midnights (her 10th studio album, which is crazy in of itself) will include songs about nighttime or written during the night. This concept sets the perfect mood for the fall season. She recently revealed the tracklist, so make sure to check it out

Until then, here are my rankings of her old albums, starting with my personal favorite (re-recordings included):

Rankings:

1. Red (Taylor’s Version)

“All Too Well (10 Minute Version).” Enough said.

1. 1989

The pop, the beats – just every song on this album rocks. 

1. Fearless (Taylor’s Version)

The Vault tracks on this album are everything. 

1. Reputation

A highly underrated album. 

1. Folklore

The perfect rainy day album.

1. Speak Now

For the powerful ballads. 

1. Evermore

For the incredible collaborations and storytelling. 

1. Lover

For the happiness this album induces. 

1. Red

The good old days.

1. Fearless

For the nostalgia factor.

1. Taylor Swift

I’m not a big country fan, so naturally this album ranks last for me. 

I’ve enjoyed watching Taylor grow as an artist over the years, and I’m excited to see her evolution as a musician continue as she releases Midnights!

My name is Alisa, and I am a junior at Colgate University majoring in psychology. Career-wise, I am interested in the marketing, advertising, publishing, and journalism industries. Outside of school, I love learning about art history, reading fiction and non-fiction books, and staying active by playing soccer or tennis.