This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

As we’ve begun to settle into the year and jackets have sprung out of nowhere, you may be finding yourself with a tickle in your throat and coughing more than usual. If you’re negative for Covid-19, Strep throat, mono and everything else that could be tested for, you probably have the infamous “Colgate Cough.” Each college has their own alliterative name for the sickness that many students develop in the first few months of the school year, but each is caused by the same set of circumstances: communal living, lack of sleep, dusty dorms and, especially at Colgate, a work hard, play hard mentality. While sometimes it’s inevitable that you’ll get the Colgate Cough, here’s a list of 6 things you can do to ( at least try your very hardest) to combat it:

Vitamins, vitamins, vitamins!

This is one of the biggest things that has helped me stay healthy in communal living situations like summer camp. I’m a fan of Vitamin D, multivitamins (the Flintstones ones are great!) and Vitamin C (the Emergen-C dissolvable packets work wonders). Take these every day to help boost your immune system.

Invest in an air purifier

Chances are a part of your Colgate Cough is coming from the dusty dorms. There are a ton of air purifiers on Amazon  that will help clean the air of dust and mold. An added bonus is it will make your room feel less stuffy. 

Wash your hands like there’s no tomorrow

At the risk of sounding like your mom, washing your hands is incredibly important in stopping the spread of germs and illnesses like the common cold. Bonus tip: try not to touch your face! That’s how germs are spread to your nose and mouth.

Go to bed. Early.

It can be hard to get a full night of sleep as a college student, especially when you’re trying to balance studying and partying, but it’s nonetheless important. Your body needs a ton of rest to recuperate.

Mask up

I know we’re all sick of wearing masks after being in the pandemic for so long, but it can be super helpful to wear one if you’re around someone who’s really sick, or if you’re really sick. Try and stop the spread of germs where you can – including to fellow classmates!

HYDRATE

Your body needs a ton of fluids to keep up with the constant nose blowing and coughing. I always drink more water if I mix in some flavoring or decorate my water bottle with cute stickers.

Stay healthy, Colgate!

Felicia is a second year student and the Vice President of Her Campus at Colgate University. She is majoring in psychology and minoring in economics. In her free time, Felicia loves to sing, workout and do her campus radio show.