How to Stay Safe on Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

As you know, it’s spring break this week! Whether you are staying home or going on vacation, it is a great time to relax. For those of you going on vacation, it is important to stay safe. Here are some safety tips:

1) Use sunscreen- I know everyone wants to get tan over spring break and hates the thought of preventing any
potential tan with sunscreen, but it is really important to put on at least some protection. Even just an spf of 8. In fact, if you burn, you are likely to peel and lose some of that tan!

2) Wear sunglasses– Sunglasses are a great accessory but they are also great for protecting your eyes. You may not think of it but your eyes can burn too and it can be really harmful. Therefore, be sure to wear those sunglasses!

3) Always have a buddy– On spring break, you’re most likely in a place you have never been with beaches and other tourists around. It is important to place it safe and make sure to have a buddy! That way you are never alone in a foreign place.

4) Know the address of where you are staying– If you ever get separated from your buddy, you could be in big trouble if you have no idea where you are staying. Additionally, it could be a big problem if you are just lost. Prevent any potential problems by knowing the address and carrying a map!

5) Drink lots of water– If you’re vacationing to a beach, you’ll definitely be in the sun for a large portion of the day. The sun, along with alcohol, greatly dehydrates your body and can make you feel sick. No one wants to be sick on vacation so prevent this by drinking lots of water while laying out getting a tan!

Alexandra Hite is a sophomore at Colgate University where she intends to major in Environmental Studies and minor in Spanish. At Colgate, she is involved with the Sailing Team and the Alpine Ski Team. Born and raised in Albany, New York, Alex enjoys running, baking, and traveling. Additionally, she enjoys surfing on Cape Cod during the summers. Her favorite city is Boston, where she hopes to attend law school upon graduating from Colgate University.