This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

I huddled under heaps of blankets with Caleigh and Annabel as the typical Hamilton winter conditions settled in all around 113 Broad Street.  Finally unpacked (loosely), we were at a loss for how to proceed. Although we had already done a quarantine months before, we knew this time would feel different.  No longer could we spend the days soaking up the sun on Whitnall Field.  However, this time around, we were wiser, knowing to bring our favorite snacks and knowing that it would be hard.  With the time on our hands, we decided to plan out the quarantine. 

When I asked my roommates, they were enthusiastic. We rattled off ideas Family Feud-style and soon had a list full of fun ideas to keep ourselves occupied. Our favorite thing to do in the evenings, after we finish up our work for the day and chat over dinner, is to watch a show together, something made better by the cometary of close friends. In the fall, we watched Glee. Embarrassing, we know, don’t judge us. Glee is undoubtedly made better through sarcastic comments and chirps about the characters and their choices. This winter, we branched out to Sex and the City and everyone’s favorite, The Bachelor. These shows are great because even if someone goes off on a tangent about something similar that happened to their brother’s girlfriend’s aunt’s dog, you won’t have missed much. 

My roommate Annabel immediately said that we should plan a spa day when we made our list. A total head to toe pamper complete with mani-pedis, face masks, and maybe a complete makeover (who doesn’t like to have their face and hair done to the nines?). What better way to get out of the quarantine slump than to re-invigorate (and maybe re-invent) yourself before in-person classes begin? It is a great way to relax with your roommates and spend some quiet quality time together. 

Caleigh suggested that we work out. Annabel and I narrowly completed Chloe Ting’s Two Week Challenge together during the last quarantine. While quick, Chloe Ting’s workouts are challenging but also sweat-inducing. We love the Peloton workouts, but those require a subscription. Caleigh recommends Sydney Cummings, another free YouTube fitness instructor, though I have yet to try her out. 

The “unpacking” we did when we arrived was not entirely successful, so maybe a thorough re-organizing is the key because, allegedly, the less clutter, the clearer your mind. Start your spring cleaning early, and perhaps the weather will get the hint. I think there is nothing more satisfying than finding the perfect spot to store your books or organizing your desk drawers. 

Lastly, my suggestion is to bundle up and go outside, even if just for a little bit. Something about fresh air is energizing and is helpful to restoring focus. So, dress up like the Michelin Man and take a lap around Taylor Lake. Who knows, maybe the daylight and the sun’s reflection off the snow will give you a tan, or better yet, the answer to the math problem you’ve been stuck on for hours. 

Good Luck,

Haylie, Annabel, and Caleigh

Haylie Spain

Colgate '23

Political Science Major at Colgate University
Courtney Day

Colgate '22

Courtney Day is the Campus Correspondent for the Colgate University chapter of Her Campus. She is an English major, minoring in both Political Science and Writing & Rhetoric, and is a member of the Women's Varsity Lacrosse team.