Hot & Cold, How To Dress For it All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

It has come to a point now in upstate New York where waking up and checking the weather app is a necessity. One day the thermometer reads in the single digits, and the next shows a high of 40s-50s. While many have chosen to ignore the freezing temperatures by storing away the Canada Goose’s and bringing out the lightly-lined Patagonia’s; the thermometer reads true, it is still frigid out there. However, for those of you who foolishly left your arctic-tundra gear at home over spring break—here are a few tips on how to stay warm through these couple weeks of in-between season.

1.  Bring on the scarves

Scarves are comfortable and hug your neck nicely to keep in warmth where it matters most. Plus, scarves are always a reliable way to spice up your outfit from average to va va voom!

2.  Layer up

Layering up is always a smart option, that way if you get a sudden heat flash you are able to shed down to the bare minimum to acclimate to the temperature. Smart ways to layer up include: wearing a t-shirt under a sweater, vests and wearing a jean or leather jacket.

3.  Tights are your best friend

Tights and a skirt scream spring fashion, which is convenient for us ladies because they also make wearing a skirt in upstate new york a little more bearable, especially with this weather. This is a reasonable way to look fashionable while exposing minimal bare skin to the crisp, very cold air.

4.  Boots are always in…

Boots are truly always in. There are so many different variations of boots now-a-days that it has become acceptable to wear them during all seasons. Boots are a viable way of staying warm because you can wear thick or thin socks to line them just the way you want!

5.  Drop the cropped leggings

If you are a baby about the weather, like me, then wearing cropped leggings is just not an option. That few inches of ankle that is exposed goes a long way and stings when the wind hits it. Solution: wear the longer leggings, cover the ankles!

Although we keep telling ourselves the weather is going to pass shortly, it is still important to dress reasonably for the cold conditions we’re still facing. Don’t ignore the weather app, embrace it!