food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Golden Globes Recap and Highlights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Last night were the Golden Globes, and it was definitely one for the history books. This event included a COVID-19 friendly, virtual red carpet, and two iconic recipients of the Cecil B. DeMile lifetime achievement and Carol Burnett awards (Jane Fonda and Normal Lear, respectively). While there were definite misses for the event, including some technical difficulties and inappropriate playing of the infamous “stop talking” music, the hosting by Amy Poehler and Tina Fey gave us some jokes to help us smile through even the weird parts.

In terms of what to watch following the show, The Crown, Nomadland, and Ted Lasso are my personal recommendations. Ted Lasso won two awards, Best Actor in a Television Comedy won by Jason Sudeikis (dressed in a sweatshirt advertising his sister’s dance studio in NYC); and took away the award for Best Television Comedy. I have watched this show, and if you have not yet watched, it is a heartwarming show that I absolutely recommend to watch during this dark winter. 

The Crown sweeping many of its categories was no surprise for the viewers. Emma Corrin and Josh O’Connor had Olivia Colman looking like a proud mom as she watched her young costars winning Best Actress and Actor in a Television Drama.

For the Oscars, watch out for a possible sweep from Nomadland. Starring Frances McDormand and directed by Golden Globe winner Chloe Zhao, it could be a big contender for some major Oscars this year. Telling the unconventional story of a woman who decides to live a nomadic lifestyle after losing everything in the Great Recession, Nomadland follows her journey across the American West in her van as a modern-day nomad. 

Post-Golden Globes 2021, I think the biggest takeaway is to bring on the Oscars. Set your calendars, nominations come out March 15, 2021!

Sophie Clark

Colgate '22

Hi! My name is Sophie Clark and I am a junior at Colgate University. I am a Molecular Biology major with a Classics minor:)
Courtney Day

Colgate '22

Courtney Day is the Campus Correspondent for the Colgate University chapter of Her Campus. She is an English major, minoring in both Political Science and Writing & Rhetoric, and is a member of the Women's Varsity Lacrosse team.