This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Full Name: Gloria (Jean) Brooks

What she does at Colgate: Jean works at Frank Dining Hall, swiping students ‘Gate Cards. She has worked at Colgate for 34 years and began working when the main dining hall was located in the Hall of Presidents. She saw the construction and opening of Frank Dining Hall and has worked there ever since!

What she likes about working at Colgate: Her favorite part about working at Colgate is the students. Jean says “the kids are the only reason I am still here. I could have retired two years ago but I am not ready to give [the students] up yet.”

Funniest memory: She could not think of one, but she said all the stories she heard about students’ experiences at the Jug are funny. Jean adds, “I am not going to repeat them, you wouldn’t believe them anyway.” 

Her hobbies: Jean enjoys spending time with her grandchildren. In addition to her family, she “[does] craft work (see picture) and craft shows. Right now [she] is doing the holiday work. [she has] fun trying different things, trying what works and what sells.”

Her favorite food at Frank: the desserts, the hot chocolate pudding cake. And, the bread pudding is out of this world!

Why we love her: She always has a smile on her face when greeting students at Frank. Her fun energy is one of a kind. Her seasonal jewelry is great, too!

photo credits: www.colgate.edu

Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!