Fun Fall Things to Do Around Hamilton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

As the leaves start to change to change color and the weather becomes cooler you know Fall has officially arrived. For me, it’s one of the most exciting times of the year and you can finally start to trade in your dresses and summer clothes for cozy sweaters and fleeces. As the weather starts to get cold you might find yourself looking for stuff to do around campus or down the hill in Hamilton. Here’s five activities to get into the fall spirit and take advantage of the weather before it gets too cold! 

The Hamilton Farmers Market 

The Hamilton Farmers Market takes place in town every Saturday morning until November! Make sure to stop by and enjoy the weather before the snow starts and it packs up for the winter. It’s the perfect place to look to buy some fresh produce or delicious baked goods and warm up with the classic combo of apple cider and donuts. 

Carving Pumpkins 

One of the best seasonal activities is carving pumpkins and this is the perfect way to get excited for Halloween. Grab a friend and some pumpkins and sit outside and enjoy the weather while you carve. It’s guaranteed to get you in the holiday spirit. 

Apple picking at Windy Hill Orchards

Going to the orchards is a quintessential Colgate fall activity that’s guaranteed to be a lot of fun. Head out to Windy Hill Orchards with a group of friends to pick some apples! It’s only about a 35 minute drive from campus and is a great way to take a study break and get outside. While there, make sure to check out the farm store to pick up some other treats to go along with your apples!

Taking a walk on the trails 

Colgate is known for its beautiful campus, but hidden in the extensive woods are some amazing walking trails. What better way to enjoy the fall weather and look at the changing leaves than to take a walk on the trails. You can either bring a friend for a nice morning walk and debrief or go alone to reset and relax when work becomes overwhelming. Either way it’s the perfect opportunity to take a break and get some fresh air!

Dinner at the Brewery 

Another great way to enjoy the cooling weather is to get dinner at Good Nature Brewery! Sitting outside and enjoying a nice dinner after classes is a perfect way to get away from the dining hall food for a night. . 

Hopefully this inspires you to make use of the crisp fall weather and get off campus before the winter sets in! 

Grace Funston

Colgate '25

Grace is a Junior at Colgate University studying Political Science and Art History.