Fratproof Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

You’ve been there before. Stuck with a near empty beverage in one hand as bodies brush by, splashing drinks onto everyone in the dark, noisy basement. You cling to your best friend for stable support as she drags you to the bathroom to find..no, not a toilet, but a mirror. You stare at your reflection. Your eyeliner has smudged entirely, your hair line is beading with sweat, and your face is more oily than the tissue your Slices will come on later that night. Attractive? I don’t think so. Here are a few makeup tips you should try before your next trip to a frat house.

[pagebreak]

Before putting on foundation, use primer! Primer enhances the skin’s texture and acts as a canvas for your foundation so you get a truly solid base. In short, primer keeps your makeup in place. My favorite is Makeup Forever HD Microperfecting Primer because it comes in a variety of colors depending upon your skin’s needs. There’s Neutral (works on all skin types), Green (to eliminate redness), Mauve(counteracts sallow undertones), Caramel(eliminates ashiness in dark skin), Blue(adds radiance to fair skin), Yellow(lightens dark complexions), and Pink(brightens all complexions) so you’re bound to find one you like. Best part about it: it’s oil free!
[pagebreak]

Control the shine. Lucky for us, there’s a way to combat excessive oiliness while keeping your makeup intact. Try Clean & Clear Absorbing  Sheets; they’re small enough to fit in your purse. 

[pagebreak]

Use Oil Free Foundation. Again, Makeup Forever HD Invisible Cover Foundation is my favorite because it’s oil free, comes in 25 shades, and provides medium to full coverage (so it won’t run down your face)! 

[pagebreak]

Liquid or Gel eyeliner
stays put best no matter the weather.      Try MAC Fluidline, it’s a smudgepot that is very easy to put on. If  you want to try a purple smoky eye (best for brown or hazel eyes), use  Macroviolet.

[pagebreak]

Waterproof Mascara. Finish up with Maybelline Volume Express Colossal Waterproof Mascara. You can’t go wrong with Maybelline- it’s a longtime best selling brand of mascara. 

Caroline Tocci is a Colgate '13 post-grad living in NYC. Besides working as an editorial assistant at Scholastic, she enjoys running, traveling, sailing, cooking, cheering for the Patriots, reading, and writing, of course. You can check out her blog Caroline's Cucina at http://www.carolinescucina.tumblr.com or follow her on Twitter, @carolinetocci. 
Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!