Featuring Slices: The Obsession with an Unsatisfying Treat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Every college has their late night food options to satisfy the intense and sometimes painful hunger college men and women face after a thrilling night of partying. For Colgate University, the only word you need to say is slices. To most this phrase would be a generalized slogan to express pieces of pizza, however to students and alumni of Colgate, slices is not merely a word but rather it is the epitome of drunk eating. For freshman or non-Colgate students, Slices is a pizza parlor where, as you can guess, you are able to order pizza by the slice instead of having to purchase an entire pie.

In Hamilton, New York the restaurant options are limited due to the size of the town but there are three different pizza places you can visit.  However, the only name you hear circulating throughout the student body is Slices. It’s safe to say Colgate students have an obsession with the place. Nonetheless I am here to speak the hard truth. Slices pizza is not good…

The New York Times would never come to Hamilton, New York and rave about Slices because it truly is nothing special. There is neither an unusual sauce nor are there any secret ingredients. The pizza is made merely of the mundane ingredients of cheese, tomato sauce, and bread, yet the fascination still circulates campus twenty-four seven.

One of the reasons I believe this fixation on Slices has maintained its celebrity status is their marketing ploy of offering sauces on the side to compliment your pizza. There are multiple options of sauces such as hot sauce, ranch, and barbeque. One of the most popular sauces on campus is ranch. A common order for a Colgate student would be two slices and a side of ranch. These side sauces I believe are the ringer for Slices. They are the reason students are obsessed with this restaurant. Instead of savoring the pizza and loving the taste because of the actual food in front of their face, I believe the students drench their piece in the sauce they order.

Whether this is an amazing marketing scheme or simply just my critical view on Slices, one thing I can admit…they have done it right. Their name will forever pop into the minds of Colgate students and alumni when someone says the word pizza and I cannot help but admit although it may not be the best pizza in town, I do like to indulge in two slices and a ranch from time to time. 

Morgan is a junior at Colgate University where she majors in Creative Writing and minors in Film & Media Studies.  On campus, Morgan is a New Member Educator for greek life's Kappa Kappa Gamma.  When she's not under stacks of English literature in the library, you can find her watching old reruns of Laguna Beach with her co-correspondent leader, Caroline Parsons.  An avid listener of country music, interior design fanatic, and diehard Bachelor spectator.  Check out the blogs and articles produced by Morgan, Caroline, and their diverse (just as weird) team of writers!