The Do’s and Don’ts of Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

With spring break just around the corner, many of us have already started crossing out the days on our calendars leading up to this one week of freedom. Daydreams of luxurious beaches, snow-capped mountains, and home-cooked meals are growing more and more frequent, and at this point we’re just scrambling to get our work done and make it to the weekend. But since we do only get a short hiatus from our busy schedules and the cold of upstate New York, it’s important to make sure that you know how to make the most of your spring break and don’t fall victim to many common mistakes that can leave you in regret. Here are a few simple do’s and dont’s that can optimize your time and leave you fully satisfied with your vacation!

Do spend time outdoors. While maybe not everyone is heading to the beach, it’s a safe bet that wherever you’re going, it’s warmer than Hamilton. Embrace the weather! Who knows when the next time is that you’ll be able to picnic in the park or go for a run outside.

Don’t skip the sunscreen. Many people, myself included, feel that since we only have a few days of sunshine, we have the best possible chance at a tan if we don’t pile on the SPF. This, however, is a serious mistake. Most likely what will end up happening is that you’ll find yourself looking like a lobster only to have it all peel away a few days later. Don’t ruin your trip by having to stay indoors on day two.

Do catch up on sleep. Although many people may be heading somewhere that’s nonstop action and filled with tons of fun activities at every turn, it’s important to remember that this is pretty much the last break you’ll have from work until summer. Make the most of it and don’t come back more exhausted than when you left.

Do drink water. This is especially important for everyone heading into the sun. Staying hydrated is the key to staying healthy!

Do splurge on restaurants. We all get bored with the options on and around campus. This is your chance to branch out a little and try a different kind of cuisine. Whether you’re heading home to your favorite food places or going somewhere new on vacation, make sure you get your fill of that which we can’t find in Hamilton, which is a lot…

Don’t stress out over work while on break. You’ve spent the last two months writing papers and studying for tests, and once you get back things will be in full swing. Try and relax a little while you can, and make sure to dedicate plenty of time to fun activities that you wouldn’t get to do back on campus.

Do try something new. If you’re heading somewhere new for vacation, plan a fun activity that you can’t do anywhere else (or at least while you’re at school). Going to the beach? Take a surfing lesson. If you’re heading home for the week, take a spinning class or read a new book. Don’t waste your time sitting around doing the same old stuff.

Don’t treat the week as a free-for-all. Spring break can sometimes be a big party, which, let’s face it, is a ton of fun. But that doesn’t mean that what you do this week will evaporate into thin air come Monday.  Be sure to remember that the next time you’re contemplating something that wouldn’t even cross your mind back at school.

Obviously, the point of spring break is to take a little time off from our busy schedules at school and enjoy however it is you choose to spend it. Hopefully these tips will come in handy in the upcoming week and will help you return to school in the highest of spirits!