A Disney Classic Remix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

After the huge success of the remake of The Jungle Book, Disney has commissioned director Jon Favreau to re-create that perfection with another Disney movie near and dear to all of our hearts: The Lion King.

Arguably one of the best Disney movies and every 90’s kid’s favorite animated film, The Lion King is getting an upgrade with “live-action” treatment. After its debut in 1994, The Lion King became one of the biggest animated films of all time, with a lifetime global box office gross of $968.8 million. It won Academy Awards for the original song, “Can You Feel the Love Tonight,” not to mention original score, plus two Grammy Awards. An added bonus? The film’s soundtrack sold over 14 million copies. To go along with these accolades, The Lion King has been translated into eight different languages and its 23 global productions have been seen by more than 85 million people across every continent except Antarctica.

Based on twitter reactions, people are extremely excited to see what magic Favreau has in store for us. But while we wait in anticipation for the new film to hit the screens, make sure to stock up on Lion King gear and translate Hakuna Matata just one more time.

Disclaimer and (hopefully not) spoiler alert: We unfortunately will have to relive the death of Mufasa once again :’(

**Facts and Figures from The Walt Disney Company Press Release.