Creative Costumes of 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

In the classic movie Mean Girls, Cady says that “Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything else about it.”  While Cady may have a point, I think this Halloween girls should strive to be something more unique.  Costumes should be more creative than risqué.  Halloween is truly the best time to be imaginative.  While a cop or nurse may seem like cute costumes, they are too boring and repetitive.  Plus, who wants to spend 80 dollars on an outfit you’ll never wear again?  This year I dare you to try something different! Here are my favorite costumes for the upcoming holiday (and they are easy to make!). Happy Halloween![pagebreak]

1. Black and/or White Swan.   Who doesn’t want to look like Natalie Portman for a night? Dressing as black swan and having a friend be white swan is the perfect Halloween pairing.  All you need is a tutu, tiara, tights, wings(optional), and fierce eye makeup. 

[pagebreak]

2. Nicki Minaj. After watching Sophia and Rosie sing Super Bass on the Ellen Degeneres Show I realized how fun it would be to dress up as Nicki for the night(pink wigs and tutus anyone?).

[pagebreak]

3. Thing 1 and Thing 2 from Dr. Seuss.  All you need is a blue wig and red body suit! Not a “sexy” costume by any means but definitely a fun idea!

[pagebreak]

4. The 7 Deadly Sins.  After seeing a America’s Next Top Model Episode a few years ago(pictured above), my friends and I decided to be the 7 deadly sins for Halloween our senior year of high school- it was a big hit.  Great for large friend groups, you can be pride, greed, gluttony, wrath, envy, and sloth (if you have an 8th she can be the devil!). 

[pagebreak]

5. In-n-Out Girl. In-n-Out Burger is possibly the greatest burger joint of all time.  Being an in n out waitress is a unique but fun Halloween costume. Who doesn’t want an excuse to wear a flirty skirt and roller skates? 

Caroline Tocci is a Colgate '13 post-grad living in NYC. Besides working as an editorial assistant at Scholastic, she enjoys running, traveling, sailing, cooking, cheering for the Patriots, reading, and writing, of course. You can check out her blog Caroline's Cucina at http://www.carolinescucina.tumblr.com or follow her on Twitter, @carolinetocci. 
Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!