This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

What words come to your mind when you hear, “course registration”?  Dreadful? Nerve-wracking? Stressful? Hopeless?! Well, if any of those words came to your mind, you’re not alone.  Whether you have the first slot or the unfortunate last slot and you find yourself typing in random course numbers numbers, course registration is a very stressful time for many.  It’s only my sophomore year, but I’ve already had my fair share of course registration scares. From typing in the wrong PIN number to log in to not securing my first spot on the waitlist and ending up the ninth (I did not get in), it’s been a wild ride… so here are some tips to make those hectic three minutes entering in your classes a bit easier.

1. Write It Down!

Something that helps me keep my brain from becoming scattered during registration is writing down all of the courses I am interested in, along with their day and time, professor, and PIN number.  This helps me if I am waitlisted for one of my top choices and having everything in one place makes it a lot easier. I also like this because it helps me visualize what my day will look like when that semester comes.  I like to map out what the day will be like. For example, if I am deciding between taking an 8:30 am versus a 1:20 pm class, I decide whether I want to start my day early and have a full productive day, or if I choose the later wakeup and get those Z’s… tough decisions.

2. Utilize Degreeworks!

If you have a major or minor in mind, CORE requirements to fulfill, or that last Natural Sciences & Mathematics credit, Degreeworks is a great way to make sure you’re hitting everything!  In the “What If” section, you can plug in possible majors or minors you have in mind to see if you’re on track to get them all done in time. This also is very helpful when deciding what courses you take as the website actually gives you the names of courses that will help you fulfill these requirements.

3. Meet with your advisor!

Take the time to do this!  When deciding between three different classes to fill that last slot, your advisor will give you an unbiased opinion, tailored to you, on what class they think will be the best fit for your schedule and aspirations.  They can also help to calm you down in this stressful time and provide some reassurance that even with that last slot, everything will end up okay.

4. Give yourself a buffer!

If your course registration time slot is 6:00 pm, DO NOT open up your computer at 6:00 pm!  Get on there at 5:50 and have your PIN ready and typed into the website. Along with this, have your first-choice course number copied, so you can hit paste and enter it into the slot instead of having to rush to type it in.  

Course registration can be pretty hectic, but just remember that everything will turn out fine in the end.  If you don’t end up getting the classes you want, there is always a drop/add period when you can jump into other classes and beg the professors to let you in.  Good luck :)

Courtney Day

Colgate '22

Courtney Day is the Campus Correspondent for the Colgate University chapter of Her Campus. She is an English major, minoring in both Political Science and Writing & Rhetoric, and is a member of the Women's Varsity Lacrosse team.
Colgate