This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Since it is officially December and we’ve already had our first snow, we’re going to have to start wearing our winter boots if we haven’t pulled them out of our closets already.  While UGGs, Hunters, and Bean Boots seem to be Colgate winter staples, it’s time to shop elsewhere for winter gear.  UGGs may be warm and easy to slip on, but let’s face it- they aren’t the best looking boot around! Plus, do you really want to be wearing the same shoe as everyone else? There are so many Hunter boots in my apartment that sometimes it’s difficult to find my own.  Here are a few of my favorite replacements that you should consider rocking this winter.  You never know, maybe we’ll start a new trend.

1)   Joules Women’s Muck Boots: This boot from the popular UK brand Joules is comparable to the Bean Boot, but in my opinion, more fashionable.

2)   North Face Women’s Abby III Boot:  This boot is cuter than the UGG and just as comfortable! I wore this boot all last winter and it has double the traction of an Ugg boot.

3)   Sorel Caribou Boot: I wore Sorels when I was little and they finally are making a major comeback.  They are “the timeless choice for work and play in cold weather” which makes them the best winter boot around.

4)   If you insist on wearing UGG boots of some kind, do one thing: avoid the classic! After seeing a girl in Case wearing a pink v-neck tee with pink UGGs I think you all can agree with me that enough is enough.  Instead of the classic, opt for the Women’s Caspia: a short suede boot with sheepskin lining that can easily be paired with skinny jeans.

5)   Holiday Splurge: TheTory Burch Duck Boot 2 is pricey but too hard to resist. From boots to bags, Tory Burch knows fashion.  This boot is great for your Hannukah or Christmas wish list! 

Caroline Tocci is a Colgate '13 post-grad living in NYC. Besides working as an editorial assistant at Scholastic, she enjoys running, traveling, sailing, cooking, cheering for the Patriots, reading, and writing, of course. You can check out her blog Caroline's Cucina at http://www.carolinescucina.tumblr.com or follow her on Twitter, @carolinetocci. 
Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!