This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Meet this week’s student profile: ALEX DRAKOS ’16

Alex Drakos (pictured second from top right) poses with fellow a cappella friends from the Colgate Thirteen and the Swinging ‘Gates.

This past week, Colgate’s all-male a capella group, The Colgate Thirteen, along with the all-female group, The Swinging ‘Gates, hosted their annual A Cappella Jamboree concert in the chapel. This show gives every senior Thirteen singer a chance to finally perform a solo, a one-time opportunity exclusively reserved for senior members. Alex Drakos ’16, a behavioral neuroscience major, gives us some details on his experience with the Colgate Thirteen.

What was it like to finally perform a solo after waiting 4 years

“It was great to get a soo after 4 years. I had been up on the stage in years past, but it was awesome to have a solo.”

What song did you choose and why?

“I chose Latch [by Sam Smith] because I had heard an arrangement of it before and liked it a lot. But I also really like the song and thought it would be a good song for my voice.”

How long have you been singing?

“I started singing freshmen year of high school.”

What is something about the Thirteen that most people don’t know?

“The Thirteen exclusively drinks Voss water.”

How long does it take for the group to memorize a song?

“It depends on the song but generally we take about a week and a half to get the song down, and then it takes another week or so to get it perfect.”

What other activities do you do on campus?

“I was in SOMAC until this year. I am in Theta Chi, I am on the club squash team, and I run a company through TIA.”

And lastly, what do you love most about the Thirteen?

“The friendship.”