This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

As a Swiftie who was unable to get tickets to the Eras Tour (thanks a lot, Ticketmaster), I was naturally excited when I heard that it was being made into a movie so I could get a taste of the in-person experience. All of my friends who had gotten to go see her in concert raved about it, so I definitely had high expectations. And Taylor exceeded every one of them.

One thing about the Eras movie I really appreciated was the ability to see the facial expressions of Taylor and her background dancers. At almost any concert, it is basically impossible to actually see the face of the performer. Getting to see Taylor’s face up close really solidified her as not only a talented singer and songwriter, but also as a performer and storyteller. She wants to take you on a journey and feel the way she felt when she was writing those songs about her personal life. But that’s not to say that her actions felt robotic or pre-planned; Taylor had her fun too. Smirking at the camera, having fun with the crowd, and strutting across the stage- you could tell she was having the time of her life. Large concerts in stadiums like the ones Taylor performs in also makes it hard to truly appreciate the background dancers and everything they bring to a performance. The Eras movie makes sure they don’t go unnoticed. It was such a joy to see them having the time of their lives on stage while appreciating the fact that they were dancing for almost 3 hours straight.

Another part of the movie I was really impressed by was the camera work. It really made me feel immersed in the entire performance. A part that really stands out to me was right in the beginning of Tolerate It, when the camera walked out behind the dancer onto the stage. It felt like I was stepping out into a huge stadium and was so mesmerizing. 

For me, the highlight was definitely the camera work and editing during the Reputation era. As someone who went to a Reputation concert back in 2018, I was really excited to see how Taylor would bring it back to life to the Eras Tour. The CGI was really incredible as it looked like a giant snake was wrapped around the stage, jumping out of the screen. You could tell that Taylor was having the time of her life and that she was really reliving the Reputation tour, having the time of her life.

The Eras Tour movie was so much fun for a Taylor Swift fan like myself who couldn’t get to go in person. It was emotional for sure; I laughed, I cried, and experienced everything in between. So whether you’re a Taylor Swift fan or just looking for a way to fill up 3 hours and check out some new music, I highly recommend getting a ticket!

Ella Moon

Colgate '23

Ella is a freshman at Colgate University from Short Hills, New Jersey.