This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

As the leaves change color and the wind picks up, there is truly no better feeling than cuddling up in bed with a good book (and maybe a cup of tea). With all of the stress and chaos of college life, it can be hard to find the time or motivation to read for fun, but if you can get yourself to start, it’s a great way to relax – especially before bed. As someone who loves reading to avoid their real work, I’ve accumulated a list of recommendations from a variety of genres that are perfect for the fall.

Everything I Know About Love by Dolly Alderton

I don’t usually go for memoirs, but this book grabbed my attention and reading it felt like a warm hug. Dolly writes and reflects on her experiences throughout high school, college, and her twenties. This book will make you laugh, cry, and text all your friends that you love them. It’s an amazing ode to love in all its forms. 

Buy here!

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

This psychological thriller is just spooky enough to be the perfect fall read. Set in London, the novel follows a psychotherapist in search for answers from a mysterious woman who suddenly killed her husband one night, and never spoke a word after that. This book is captivating and creepy, and the ending will certainly leave you in shock.

Buy here!

Writers & Lovers by Lily King

Writers & Lovers is a heartfelt novel following Casey, a struggling writer, as she navigates grief, financial difficulties, work, and love. This book was set particularly close to my heart, set against the backdrop of Cambridge, Massachusetts – near my hometown. King’s writing is precise, powerful, and touching, and the setting and tone of this novel are just what you might need while the leaves are falling.

Buy here!

Circe by Madeline Miller

This book is a feminist retelling of a figure from Greek mythology. Written by the same author as Song of Achilles (another top tier recommendation), Circe takes the elusive tone of ancient mythology and puts a new poignant modern twist on it. Miller explores feminine power and independence, and the beautiful Greek setting is perfect for fall comfort.

Buy here!

In Five Years by Rebecca Serle

I’m a sucker for a good romance book, but this book goes beyond that, exploring both romantic and platonic love together. In Five Years follows Dannie, a driven Manhattan lawyer, and her decisions following a night where she gets a glimpse into her life 5 years into the future. Dannie’s friendships and romances will have you invested in no time, and the New York City setting is effortlessly warm and fuzzy.

Buy here!

A Separate Peace by John Knowles

Fans of Dead Poets Society will love this classic novel, set at a prestigious New England boys’ boarding school during World War II. The book follows Gene and Phineas, two starkly different boys pushed together by the school, and the growing tension between them. The fall vibes are strong in this dark academia setting, and the harrowing resolution of the book is a great level of eerie.

Buy here!

Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren

This quintessential romance novel follows two childhood friends, Macy and Elliot, as they reunite in adulthood. The characters are nerdy and lovable, and it takes place in Northern California. I originally read this book in one day — and I plan on revisiting it when I’m home for fall break. It’s just a perfect fall romance.

Buy here!

The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

I simply couldn’t leave this off of the list. Sometimes there is nothing more comforting than nostalgia in the fall, and Hogwarts offers the perfect escape. Whether it’s in book or movie form, Harry Potter is a fall essential. 

Buy here!

I hope you can find interest in at least one of these books and get in some good reading time. Snuggle up and enjoy the beautiful Hamilton fall with a paperback and pumpkin spice latte!

Ali Mason

Colgate '26

Ali Mason is a freshman at Colgate from the suburbs of Boston. She is planning to double major in Psychology and English. Ali is a member of the club equestrian team on campus, and also loves reading, baking, and watching movies.