This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

There is never a better time to discuss some ways to live a more sustainable lifestyle than now. If you want to become more aware of your carbon footprint, Nature.org has a great calculator for it. This can help you understand your impact on the environment and also help you find some areas for improvement. The calculator is linked below but I will also be sharing some easy and effective fixes to incorporate into your daily routine that will help you live a more sustainable lifestyle! 

Carbon Footprint Calculator: 

https://www.nature.org/en-us/get-involved/how-to-help/carbon-footprint-calculator/

1. Walk instead of drive

While COVID restrictions on campus right now make it difficult to do group carpools, the most sustainable option to get to class, the gym, an extracurricular activity, or even a friend’s house, is to walk. We are so lucky that Hamilton is such a walkable town, and we should all try to take advantage of the sidewalks as much as possible! Plus, a few extra steps never hurt. 

2. Take a shorter shower

One of the greatest tips I’ve ever been given is to play one song and one song only while you shower. I promise, it doesn’t even feel rushed because you will get usually 3-4 minutes in the shower and then know when it’s time to get out! I know it may seem relaxing to lounge in the warm water, but it actually wastes a lot of water and is not very sustainable. And an added bonus, you are always having a shower party with yourself! 

3. Shop sustainably

Think before you buy. Try to avoid fast fashion that will be out of style in 4 months. Instead, thrift! You can get a lot of really cool pieces at thrift stores, especially considering so many things come back in style. Additionally, check out @hamidown_gate on Instagram for some lightly used clothes on Colgate’s campus! 

4. Turn your lights off

Open your blinds during the day and turn your lights off! Daylight savings gave us an extra hour of daylight which we should not take for granted. You will be surprised how light a dorm room can get if you open the shades even with the overhead light off. Plus, the natural light will make you feel better and your room feel bigger! 

5. Meatless (Mon)day

Eating meat increases carbon footprint exponentially. Try to pick one night a week, could be a Monday or any other day, and commit to making a vegetarian meal. There are so many vegetarian options these days and tons of ways to get protein without eating meat. Have fun with it by experimenting with your cooking! 

6. Buy a reusable water bottle

Buying a reusable water bottle will not only decrease your intake of plastic water bottles, but it will also make you more excited to drink water! If you are always carrying a stylish water bottle around, you will subconsciously drink more water than before. It’s a win-win! 

7. Plan out your meals 

When going to the grocery store, make a list of foods you will need for meals and snacks that week. This will prevent aimlessly shopping and that way you will finish all the food you buy rather than wasting it! 

Phoebe Casey

Colgate '22

Hi! I'm Phoebe and I am a junior studying psychology.
Courtney Day

Colgate '22

Courtney Day is the Campus Correspondent for the Colgate University chapter of Her Campus. She is an English major, minoring in both Political Science and Writing & Rhetoric, and is a member of the Women's Varsity Lacrosse team.