Culture > News

6 Ways You Can Help the People of Ukraine From Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

While many humanitarian crises persist, these issues rarely receive American media attention. When these conflicts are brought into the public eye, they flood the news and create a sense of helplessness. Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has sparked global attention, with countless countries engaging in aid, resources, and relief for the Ukrainian military and civilians. Considering the prominence of the Russia-Ukraine conflict among news outlets, you may wonder how to best support Ukraine during this devastating time. Many websites and organizations have circulated social media platforms. Below, you will find a list of validated organizations seeking donations.

​​Heart to Heart International

Heart to Heart International focuses on providing medical supplies to Ukrainian refugees. The organization provides medical grade care for underprivileged and under-resourced communities in disasters.

Global Giving

Global Giving began a Ukrainian Crisis Relief Fund that allocates donations to various aspects of the crisis, such as psychological and physical support, economic aid, and education for Ukrainian citizens.

UNICEF

UNICEF is a leading global organization invested in defending children’s rights. During the Russia-Ukraine crisis, they are accepting donations to support children and families with emergency supplies, psychosocial care for traumatized children, and safe drinking water.

International Fund for Animal Welfare

The organization has a partnership in Ukraine, with funds being used to support animal owners and provide necessities such as food and shelter for the animals of refugees. Many Ukrainians fleeing the country have been forced to leave their pets behind; as a result, numerous organizations have stepped up to provide aid to stray animals in Ukraine. According to their website, “IFAW’s emergency response team has met with organizations and authorities in Poland working on the frontlines of the crisis” as of late March 2022.

Fight for Right

Fight for Right is a Ukrainian NGO that aims to defend the human rights of disabled Ukrainians. Led by human rights activist Yuliia Sachuk, the organization works to safely evacuate individuals living with disabilities and provide them with financial support. Additionally, the group supplies food and medicine to Ukrainians unable to evacuate the country.

Voices of Children Foundation

The Voices of Children Foundation focuses on psychological support services for children impacted by the invasion. The organization places an emphasis on art therapy and assistance in evacuation and comfort. One of the unique aspects of this foundation is a storytelling aspect of their website, which provides the stories of Ukrainian children affected by the conflict.

There are countless organizations to donate to if interested and able. Whether you’re seeing updates on your laptop or listening to the news, it’s important to contribute as global citizens. Whether that’s spreading awareness, staying informed, or donating to one of the foundations listed above, it’s crucial to do our part to support Ukraine during the Russia-Ukraine conflict. 

Hi! I'm Audrey and I'm from Chicago, IL pursuing a psychological and brain sciences major and political science minor. I am a junior at Colgate University and this is my third year in Her Campus!