Style > Fashion

5 Winter Wardrobe Essentials Every Colgate Student Should Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Second semester in Hamilton means endless winter days and nights. Whether you are getting dressed to go to class, the gym, or a dinner date at the Colgate Inn, there are many ways to fashionably layer up. Students may think the cold weather means staying warm is the only priority, but I’m going to share a few of my favorite pieces you can wear that will allow you to face the Colgate winter head on while looking cute doing it.

1. Fleece Lined Flannels

Flannels are a piece of clothing that will never go out of style and will always be a closet staple. However, in severely cold weather, a thin flannel will not cut it. One of my favorite winter items is a fleece-lined flannel because it will keep you warm throughout the day, even outside. My favorite fleece-lined flannels are from L.L Bean and Eddie Bauer. 

1. Down For It All Jacket – Lululemon

This jacket is perfect for all of the runners out there who venture into the cold to get their daily run in. The stretchy fabric allows you to move freely while the insulation will keep you warm start to finish. I should also mention that this jacket is completely waterproof, so if a run in the snow is calling your name, just throw on this jacket and you’re good to go. 

1. The Super Puff – Aritzia 

If you are active on social media or even just walk around Colgate’s campus, you have probably seen several Superpuff’s. This winter, these coats have become in trend all over the country and have been a college student’s go-to winter coat. With the 17 available colors and the 5 lengths, you will surely find a style that works for you. 

1. Vintage Y2K Dark Red Striped Sweater – Urban Outfitters 

Everyone knows the disappointment of finding a cute sweater that doesn’t keep you warm or is too thin to wear during the winter months. This sweater combines the Y2K trend with wool material to create a fashionable and sustainable piece.  

1. Insulated Winter Hat

If you’re walking around campus, you are sure to run into some wind. A hat is going to be your best friend when facing the cold. Wearing a hat will help you retain heat and protect your ears against the -11 degree weather when walking to your 8:20 class. My favorites are from Anthropologie, Columbia, and Carhartt. 

No matter where you live on campus, it’s crucial to bundle up and stay warm. The possibilities are endless when crafting a cute winter fit, and Hamilton is just the place to figure out what pieces are your snow day favorites.

Hi! I'm Audrey and I'm from Chicago, IL pursuing a psychological and brain sciences major and political science minor. I am a junior at Colgate University and this is my third year in Her Campus!