This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

If you’re like me, you probably feel like you’ve been sitting in your desk chair for hours and hours. It’s hard to believe that we are already almost five weeks into the semester. Unlike past years, Case Geyer is not opened at all hours of the day when we need it most. Instead, many students, myself included, have been doing the majority of their work sitting at their desk in their room. Since this unfortunately does not seem to be changing soon, here are a few ways to make the most of your workspace. 

1. Use a Planner 

A planner can help you feel organized and on top of your to-do list. In order to make the most of your workspace it is important to be organized and feel organized. This way you know what assignments you can put away and have out. 

2. Making your workspace clutter free 

One of the best ways to make the most of your workspace is to make it clean and clutter-free. It is really challenging to do homework or study when there are papers and notebooks scattered all over your desk. File folders can be a great way to get rid of loose-leaf paperor other assignments. Utilizing desk drawers is also a great way to put books away and get things off of your desk– only have what is necessary out on your desk!

3. Desk organization 

Organizing your workspace will also help to make the most of it. In most rooms Colgate will provide a desk hutch which allows you to stack books under and use as a shelf. Utilizing desk organization such as file folders, drawers, and shelves is  key in making sure you are getting the most use out of your space.

4. Good lighting

Good lighting goes a long way (as we all know). But investing in a desk lamp can be very helpful especially when your roommate wants to turn the lights off. They are small and easy to get and can help you out when you’re cramming for the exam late at night!

5. Utilize common areas

Another way to make the most of your workspace is to utilize common areas in order to get a change of scenery. After sitting at my desk for too long I start to feel tired and feel the need to move. By changing up your workspace, you will stay focused for longer. For example, if you’re in a townhouse, sit in the upstairs common room, or move into the living room. Or if you are in East Hall or Stillman go into the common areas! Not only is it a good way to change up your working environment, it can also allow you to meet new people (wearing a mask and following guidelines of course!)  

Hi! I'm Elizabeth and I am a junior and a Sociology Major!
Courtney Day

Colgate '22

Courtney Day is the Campus Correspondent for the Colgate University chapter of Her Campus. She is an English major, minoring in both Political Science and Writing & Rhetoric, and is a member of the Women's Varsity Lacrosse team.