friends road trip california fall break windows down music
Molly Peach / Her Campus

5 Songs You Need to Add to Your Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Back with another 5 songs you need to add to your playlists! After writing the last article, I got to thinking of other songs that I would play if I wanted to impress someone with my taste in music. In this line up I have a mix of both new and old songs. It’s always great to be reminded of songs from the past that you haven’t heard in forever since there is nothing like a comeback. Just like the last 5 songs, I’ll be categorizing these tracks into super niche playlists. 

#1) It’s You by Ali Gatie 

It’s You is a super low-fi song. It’s pretty simplistic instrumentally, with just a good beat and a guitar as the focal points. The sound of the artists voice is also super smooth and the chorus is catchy, so you’ll definitely find yourself singing the words at random points of the day. I think this is also a song you will want to play two or three times before moving onto the next one. This song gets the honor of being in the “Driving Daze” playlist. It’s perfect for when you have a long drive ahead of you and need something calming to pass the time. 

#2) Sex On Fire by Kings of Leon 

To be quite honest, after seeing a TikTok of Ross Lynch covering this I have been obsessed with it. It has a very obvious early 2000s rock sound but is so good nonetheless. The guitar riff that loops behind the lyrics is so good and the singer’s voice has the perfect balance of being smooth with a bit of rasp. The nature of the song places it into my “fooling around” playlist. Take it as you will. 

#3) Crush by Tessa Violet 

Crush was released in 2019 but I never heard of it until the other day. It’s a very feminine song with a perky beat and good sound effects like phone ringtones. Like the first song, the chorus is very catchy and extremely easy to remember since it says “crush” over and over again. It also has that female empowerment you would expect from a song like this. The verse is all about reclaiming yourself and not letting a boy dictate your life — “take it or leave it” mindset, if you will. This song is in my “sunshine-y days” playlist. Especially with the warmer weather, I need a reliable playlist to put on when the sun is out and endorphins are high. 

#4) Everybody Talks by Neon Trees 

I think everyone knows this song but it has to be one of my favorites. When this song came out in 2012–yes, 2012–it was a hit, and I think it still is. There is never a time when this song comes on that I don’t sing to it. I think it has to do with the muffled audio and the raspy voice, but honestly, that is all I have to say about this song. It’s just objectively good and everyone needs to revisit it. This song is also in my “sunshine-y days” playlist because it will brighten your day. 

#5) Time by Kidswaste 

Kidswaste earned itself a spot on last week’s list, so I’m not surprised to see another on here. I’ll preface the description with the playlist I would put it in: “calm down.” Yes, that’s the name of it. Does anyone else have a few songs that they’ll play when they can feel themselves getting worked up? Well, that’s what this playlist is about. Time is so soothing. It also has a low-fi beat and the lyrics are so soft they blend into the music. It’s nice for when you just need to fill your head with something else. I think my favorite part of the song is that there are bird noises in the background. It really takes you to a calm place and makes you feel like you’re walking through a meadow in serenity. Time is definitely worth a listen.

Hi! My name is Kate Connelly and I am a junior studying Economics and Geography.
Courtney Day

Colgate '22

Courtney Day is the Campus Correspondent for the Colgate University chapter of Her Campus. She is an English major, minoring in both Political Science and Writing & Rhetoric, and is a member of the Women's Varsity Lacrosse team.