Culture > News

5 Current Events to Talk About to Seem More Well-Informed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Being a college student is hard. Managing classes, social events, AND staying on top of current events is nearly impossible. That’s why we here at HerCampus have decided to put together a list of the top 5 most interesting things in the news this week for you to peruse at your leisure. Bring up these topics at your next dinner party to impress your peers and show them how much of a well-rounded individual you are. Or not. Your call.

1. “President calls for calm after protesters shot during Nigeria demonstration”

We’re sure you’ve seen the Instagram stories all over your feed about what’s happening in Nigeria currently- but if you haven’t chosen to click into said stories here is what you need to know: For the past two weeks daily protests have been held across the country over widespread claims of kidnapping, harassment, and extortion by a police unit known as the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, or SARS (CNN). This past Tuesday and Wednesday protests turned violent as police opened fire on unarmed citizens in Lagos, killing and maiming an unknown number. Now Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari has appealed for understanding and calm throughout the nation and his actions in response to this violence remain undetermined.

2. “TikTok Deal Makers Await Court Ruling on U.S. Ban”

For those of us who live and breathe Tiktok- this ruling could prove to be incredibly devastating in the United States. A win for the U.S government could result in the vidoe app being forced to seel or otherwsie shut down operations in the U.S – meaning no more trendy dances or relatable quotes for teens. According to the Wall Street Journal “The judge will next consider TikTok’s request for an injunction that would prevent the U.S. government from barring U.S. companies from providing web-hosting or content delivery services to TikTok starting Nov. 12” (WSJ).

3. “This is what Burger King’s new reusable packaging looks like”

With everything going on in the world, environmental concerns have fallen by the wayside in most places- however there are somecompanies that are still advocating for change in efforts to reduce the amount of waste they are making. Starting as early as next year, Burger King is partnering with TerraCycle’s zero- waste delivery platform, Loop to create new zero-waste packaging for their products. Customers will pay a small fee to be given a reusable container when they order at Burger King, and then will receive their deposit back upon returning the containers. The fast food monopoly hopes that thier efforts will inspire others to produce more sustainable packaging as time goes on.

4. “Final Trump-Biden Debate Marks Start of Sprint to Election”

If you’ve been paying attention to the presidential debates, youre probably just as confused as the rest of the world. Will Trump and Biden debate again? Will it be in person? For the love of God will someone turn off their microphones when the other person is speaking?! Well.. good news! According to CNN, the two presidential candidates will have their second and final debate this Thursday night moderated by NBC’s Kirsten Welker. Although the debate will most likely be over by the time you read this, the event is expected to be vastly different from previous debates- both parties will be separate by plexiglass and have their microphones silenced after the previous pattern of interruptions during the first debate. Stay tuned for updates!!

5. “Pope Backs Civil Unions for Gay Couples

According to a new documentary released on Wednesday, Pope Francis of the Roman Catholic church has officially endorsed civil union for same sex couples. This contrasts starkly with the previous statements of the church, but has recieved great praise from the public in light of recent years federal law changes allowing same-sex marriage. Many believ that this statement by the Pope will encourage the church to continue to modernize its teachings and break away from the bad reputation it has developed in previous eras.

None
Courtney Day

Colgate '22

Courtney Day is the Campus Correspondent for the Colgate University chapter of Her Campus. She is an English major, minoring in both Political Science and Writing & Rhetoric, and is a member of the Women's Varsity Lacrosse team.