This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

As we start to see the weather slowly getting colder in the coming weeks, it is time to start breaking out the winter coats and hats as fall comes to an end here in Hamilton. When it is warm my friends and I enjoy going to the farmers market in town and doing homework together on our house porch, but when it starts to get cold this time of year we always find it more difficult to figure out what to do for fun. I am going to give you a quick and easy guide to solve your weekend boredom in the upcoming chillier months.

1. Movie Marathons 

Now that I live in the townhouses, having access to a TV has made movie nights a much more frequent activity. When it is cold or rainy, one of my favorite things to do with my friends is pick out a movie. Recently, we watched a few of the movies in the Twilight series and loved it! Grabbing a fuzzy blanket and putting on comfy pjs for watching always makes movie nights that much cozier. 

1. Baking 

Baking cookies and muffins not only is a fun stress reliever, but also makes the whole house smell amazing! One of my favorite things to do indoors is finding new recipes and baking for my friends. Scrolling on Pinterest and trying TikTok viral recipes is a great way to disconnect from your phone and spend quality time with your friends as it gets chillier in the coming weeks. 

1. Sledding 

Although our first snowfall is beginning to melt away, once Hamilton becomes a winter wonderland my friends and I love to go sledding. Our favorite spot to go is the hill between Burke and Pinchin Hall, but of course one of the many benefits of Colgate’s campus is the endless options for sledding hills! You don’t even need a sled, my friends and I once used garbage bags to go down the hill and it was one of my best memories from last winter. Every day can soon become those snow days you loved so much as a kid! 

1. Breakfast Dates in Town 

Now this is one of my personal favorites for a chilly Saturday morning. There is truly nothing better than a warm comforting breakfast in town! Whether it is with my friends or my boyfriend, taking advantage of the cozy seating and ambiance of breakfast spots such as Flour and Salt or the Broad Street Diner is a great way to catch up over some of Hamilton’s best food! My go-to order at Flour and Salt is The Colgate on hashbrowns and an iced oat milk vanilla latte, or a hot chocolate when it is extra cold. 

1. Craft Night 

Last but not least, painting or drawing is a fun wholesome activity that my friends and I have talked about doing this semester! A quick run to the dollar store for paint, brushes, or crayons is a cheap and easy way to spend quality time with your roommates. A few of my friends even taught themselves to knit, and have made headbands and scarves! 

These are some simple yet fun things you can do with your friends this winter!

Kaitlyn Machado is a writer at the Her Campus at Colgate chapter. She pitches and writes aricles in categories such as health and wellness, fashion, and mental health. Beyond Her Campus, Kaitlyn is an active member of both Colgate Women in Business and Colgate Investment group where she learns about networking opportunities, current market trends, and collaborates on team projects related to the financial world. She is currently a junior at Colgate University, double majoring in Economics and Spanish. In her free time, Kaitlyn enjoys spending time with her friends and family, baking fun treats, and re-watching the hit TV show Friends every chance she gets. She loves to babysit for local families in Hamilton NY and share her love for arts and crafts with them.