Life > Academics

4 Ways to manage your time as a college student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Welcome to college! You’re taking fewer classes, living at school, and relishing an endless amount of freedom outside of schoolwork. While this can be exciting, the amount of free time can also be daunting. As a college student, it’s important to figure out how to balance your academic and social life. These tips will help you maximize your free time by boosting your productivity and allowing for some much needed relaxation!

Plan Ahead

Keep a calendar of any events and major assignments you have for the month, ranging from school-sponsored events to meetings with a professor. Google calendar, a whiteboard, or a simple printable calendar could be super useful. By having everything in one place, you can create a visual sense of what your week will look like. You’ll also be able to keep track of meetings and appointments. Punctuality always makes a good impression!

Take it Day by Day

In the morning, take a few quiet moments to write down everything you want to accomplish during the day. Allow this list to encompass academic assignments as well as other aspects of college living such as doing laundry, picking up packages, or going to the gym. You can even divide your list into “work” and “home” to-dos. Having this detailed list allows you to plan out your day and check off everything on your to-do list.

Allot time for Assignments

This tip applies specifically to academics. Before starting an assignment, set a timer for how long you expect the work to take you. The idea is not to rush your coursework, but rather to work diligently while being mindful of time. If you notice you are spending an exorbitant amount of time on an assignment, you can use these time slots as a reference for your professors. Checking in with professors can help you understand your difficulties and leave you with a better grasp of the material.

Schedule Social Time

During a busy day of classes, the last thing you want is even more structure to your day. However, it’s important to schedule time to relax and check in with friends. This can be as simple as texting a friend to get lunch in between classes, or meeting up with a friend to take a refreshing walk around Taylor Lake. Scheduling social times allows you to prioritize time with friends and take some time away from academics.

While the adjustment to college can be overwhelming, hopefully these tips will help you feel more organized and empowered to tackle life on campus! Over time, you’ll figure out what works best for you, and it will help you fall into a routine. College is a time to grow as you learn how to be both a student and caretaker for yourself.

Amanda Krowitz is a current sophomore at Colgate University, concentrating in English. Her hobbies include writing for Colgate's student newspaper, reading, and waterskiing.