Your Pre-Summer To Do List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Believe it or not, summer will be here before you know it, and with it nearing closer and closer, now is the time to organize and prepare so you can get the most out of your summer break.  Here are a couple helpful hints from Her Campus Colby to help you get started.

1) Find a job.  As much as we all wish summer was just for lounging on the beach and getting a tan, it’s also a time to rack in the dough (hey, you can always become a lifeguard and kill two birds with one stone!). But you don’t want to get home come summer only to find out all the usual positions have been filled.  If you haven’t already, now is the critical time to start the summer job hunt so you can be ahead of the crowd and have a better chance at a job you actually don’t hate.

2) Get in touch with friends.  As busy collegiettes™, it is easy to lose touch with some of your friends from home.  Start chatting and texting again now and when you get back home for summer it’ll feel like no time has passed.

3) Make a long term plan.  Summer is also a great time to get things done that you may not have time for during the school year.  Last summer, for example, I took a bartending course, which was something I’d always wanted to try.  This summer, I’ve decided to take classes to help fufill my pre-med requirments, but plan ahead if this is something you’re interested in as well, because registration starts soon!

4) Stock up on some cute dresses.  ‘Tis the season for weddings, grad parties, and all sorts of other events.  You know you’re gonna need some nice summer dresses, so to keep from scrambling at the mall the day before and ending up with something you don’t even like, start your shopping now.  Check out some online stores while you’re procrastinating, hit the mall for a weekend trip, or try TJ Maxx or Marshals for some sweet deals, but most importantly leave the stress out of it.

5) Plan something fun!  Summer is the ultimate time for spontaneity, but sometimes it’s really nice to have something to look forward to.  So why not start looking for a rental on the Cape with your friends or tickets to a couple summer concerts?  Buying early can help keep you on your budget by avoiding sky-rocketing last minute splurges.

What else are you doing to prepare for summer?  Leave your suggestions in the comments section below!

Kassy is a sophomore at Colby College. She's a biology major hoping to attend one of Boston's prestigious medical schools. Kassy's real passion is food, however, whether it be cooking or eating, and she took her first step into the culinary arts this summer by becoming a certified bartender. She loves her hometown of Boston but would spend all her time on an island somewhere if she could. Her never-miss shows are Glee and The Office and she can't get enough Kenny Chesney music. Kassy's other favorite things include shopping (preferably at lululemon or Anthropologie), hot yoga, her puggle, Bailey, and Captiva Island, Florida.