What to Do When Your Parents Aren’t Here for Parents’ Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

It’s Parents’ Weekend, and if your parents couldn’t come, the sight of so many mothers and fathers might make you a little homesick. But never fear! Here are four things you can do to lift your spirits.

1.  Call home. Let’s be honest—we probably don’t call home as often as we should. Parents’ weekend is a perfect reason to call our parents, tell them we’re alive, and thank them for being so great!

Source

2.  Go to the Halloween Dance. The Halloween Dance is tons of fun, and it’s even better when you haven’t just seen your parents and have to imagine their raised eyebrows when you break out your favorite dance moves.

Source

3.  Take a hike. In honor of Parents’ Weekend, the outing club is organizing a short 1.5-mile hike up Mount Phillip. They’ll leave Sunday at 9 and be back by noon, and you don’t even need to sign up. You’ll forget all about homesickness when you’re in the midst of beautiful foliage and surrounded by friends.

Source

4.  Get working. As fun as it might be to have your parents come up, there are also some hidden downsides. For one, it eats up an incredible amount of time. As you look on with envy at students shepherding their parents around Miller, remember that you have hours more time to be productive than everyone else. Finish a paper a couple days in advance, and you’ll see your parents’ scheduling conflict was a blessing in disguise. 

Source