This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Last weekend, I had the privilege of visiting an old friend who is studying abroad in London. Although I am currently studying in Sweden, this was actually my second trip to London this fall. I travelled there for the first time in early October to watch thousands of people come together to run the London marathon. This time around, however,  I got the chance to explore a few new areas and thought it would be fun to give a little run-down of what I liked the best!

The Victoria Albert Museum

If you are headed to London any time soon, the Victoria Albert Museum is a must see! This enormous museum houses many historical art and artifact collections, and has a constant rotation of new exhibits passing through. I was surprised to learn that the entrance to the general portion of the museum was completely free (although some exhibitions require additional payment), as I have gotten so used to the paid museums in Stockholm. My favorite sections of the Victoria Albert Museum were the cases of old British royal jewels and the “Gallery of Fashion” that displayed clothing of many different types throughout multiple centuries. This museum definitely has something for everyone, old and young, and I highly recommend a visit!

victoria albert
Natalie davidson
Covent Garden 

Anyone who loves to eat, drink, or shop will love the Covent Garden area, especially the main square. The covered “Apple Market” houses various stalls of treats and trinkets, and is decorated quite festively with flowers and lights. There is usually some sort of musical or magician-type act performing in the central area of Covent Garden, and many “living statues” or other sort of entertainers are present at all hours of the day. I definitely would suggest a stroll around the area, and most certainly a taste test of the freshly-dipped chocolate strawberries that many street vendors here offer! I also had the best matcha I have ever had in my entire life at %Arabica Coffee, located just outside of the central square.

Ginza Restaurant
apple market
Natalie Davidson

Located in the St. James neighborhood, this Japanese restaurant was a highlight of my weekend eats. It is an incredibly zen atmosphere, and feels almost like you are stepping into a forest or some sort of nature reserve. Although a little on the pricey side, the dishes were mouthwatering, and everyone I went with had a great meal. I ordered the teriyaki salmon, which was amazing, and also the spicy edamame. The chefs were very accommodating to food allergies, which was a huge plus because I am gluten-free. I highly recommend trying out a meal here!

Chinatown at Night

On Friday, my first night in London, we headed to Chinatown after a late dinner to check out the scene there. All I can say is, wow. The streets were filled with Londoners on nights out, and almost every gathering spot was packed with people. The streets were decorated with bright lights and garlands, and light-up bike-cabs blasting music kept passing by. There is certainly no shortage of things to do in this area, and if you are looking for a fun night on the town in London, Chinatown is the place to be!

chinatown
Natalie Davidson
Punjab Restaurant

Located in Covent Garden, Punjab is the oldest North Indian restaurant in the United Kingdom, and it serves some of the most delicious Indian food that I have ever tasted. When my friends and I arrived at the restaurant at 8pm, expecting an easy table, there was a line that reached almost down the block! Luckily, we were finally able to get seated, and I am so glad that we chose to wait it out. I had some delicious chicken tikka masala with a side of rice and raita. Punjab was also very accommodating to food intolerances, and they even have a special menu that lists all of their dishes alongside the common allergens that they contain. Super helpful and so, so good! 

I hope that this weekend recap/review gives you a little sense of what London is like right now and maybe some inspiration for a future trip! I am so lucky to have been able to take this little break, and see even more of such a fun city.

Natalie is a junior at Colby from Capitol Hill in Washington DC, but is currently abroad in Sweden! She is a Government major and an English minor here at Colby.