Wayne Kim

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Meet Wayne Kim, next years SGA co-president, who is one of the most involved people on the hill. Read his interview with HCC to find out about his aspirations for Colby’s future. 

What are you involved with on campus?

Mostly around organizations such SGA, COOT, and CCOR. However, I try to avoid being labelled as that “SGA” individual or “COOT” individual. I try to make a point that although I’m invested in the work I do, there’s a human here as well.

How did you get so involved in student government?

I had a rough first year and a half here at Colby and I wanted to make a change for myself, people around me, and future generations of Colby members. If I didn’t meet the inspirational and community-dedicated type of folks in SGA my sophomore year, then I would have left. And so I stayed.

What changes do you hope to make next year?

Continuing with the framework of MCL is fundamental to the changes I (with my Co-President Cole Yaverbaum) hope to do. We also hope to re-vamp the Dorm President position and focus on the issue of transparency of SGA. We hope to ask the question to those who SGA works with–how can SGA help you? And from there, we hope to open up the dialogue to make tangible steps. If you would like to learn more about our vision, please feel free to look at our platform. And please feel free to ask any questions or note any concerns.(https://docs.google.com/a/colby.edu/document/d/1hz9SCPs233QCpNcUx6iHIbLF9kAhQDdjHrUPLc77-vg/edit)

What are some things you love about Colby that you hope never change?

Keep Foss Crunchy. And quinoa-filled. Gotta love that quinoa (surprise!!!).

What accomplishment are you most proud of?

Finding happiness both within myself and with the people I care about.

What is the best part of being a COOT leader?

Going out to dinn with the young folk and co-wife. That’s family in a nutshell.

Anything else you want to share with us?

My father always told me leadership is not a statue or plaque, rather its organic soil that allows other generations to prosper and grow. Continue pursuing projects and establishing frameworks that will give opportunity for future members of the Colby community. You only got 4 years to make a change, rather, establish a framework. Also, make a point to interact with someone you don’t know or don’t really know at all. You gain a connection and a perspective that may prove to be invaluable. Interact with upperclassmen and ask them why they do the things they do. Find out what inspires them to work for the betterment of the community. Then ask yourself what’s your why?

Also, don’t be afraid of wearing transitional glasses. Be bold.

Gillian graduated from The Winsor School in Boston, MA in 2012 and is now a member of the class of 2016 at Colby College.