This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

When I signed on to be an orientation leader I assumed it would be like years past. Walking a small group to lectures, listening to several speakers, and playing the classic ice breaker games. I did not expect that I would be taking boxes from sad parents who were not allowed to go into their child’s room. I did not think I would be exhausted during this process due to the mask on my face. I was not prepared to rethink ice breaker games to make sure they were socially distanced. All of these changes were new to me and the rest of the orientation leaders.

Prior to arriving on campus I thought a lot about how I was going to help orient my group to Colby when the Colby I’ve known for the last 2 years is very different from the community they’re joining today. I tried to be optimistic and remind them that while we may have more regulations now, our community is the same. It was challenging to guide them through their first few days at Colby as I was trying to get used to a new experience. I was shocked at how seamlessly they transitioned. They were very considerate of all the guidelines, constantly wearing their masks and sanitizing. 

During Orientation Leader Training we talked a lot about how to address issues around COVID with our group. I was nervous I would have one defiant kid who would laugh at me if I asked them to put their mask on. Luckily, they were all receptive of it and we did not have any issues. It was very important to hammer home the point that the drinking culture on campus would be different. The culture they heard about was not necessarily the one they would experience. I wanted them to know that if we all follow the guidelines, we would be able to experience the Colby we know and love. We cheered as all of the freshman pulled in, jumping up and down in our masks in the hot afternoon sun. It was so fun seeing the different reactions we got from families. My personal favorite were the dads that thoroughly enjoyed rolling the back window down and embarrassing their kids. We recognized that this transition would be difficult for both students and parents, and we worked hard to welcome them with open arms 

Orientation was interesting because it was a mix of COOT and orientation. Our groups were small to allow them to bond, but they were stripped of the traditional COOT experience. While COOT is something that I, along with most of the community, hold dear,  I think Ryan Linehan did an excellent job providing a glimpse of the COOT experience on campus. While we were not bonding in the wilderness, the small group setting allowed groups to get to know each other much better than the traditional orientation setting allows. Orientation only lasted two days, however, by the end of day one, there was already a sense of trust in the group, giving people the opportunity to be vulnerable. I think one of the best things about orientation is that it brings students who may not necessarily meet into the same circles. Our group was very diverse in every way, interests, geographically, racially, yet they all bonded together much quicker than I anticipated. I think it is particularly important this year to have several dinners and keep the mentorship alive. We have already had dinner together, and I plan on continuing doing so at least once a month. It is important to me that I foster a strong relationship with all of the kids in my group so that they feel like they can  use me as a resource throughout their time at Colby. I commend those that worked tirelessly to bring a sense of normalcy orientation. It was not an easy task but their time and energy was greatly appreciated as the Class of 2024 began their journey on the hill.

Abby is an education major from Darien, CT. She is on the Women's Crew team and the CCAK Student Advisory Board. She is an avid sports fan, specifically the New Orleans Saints and Pittsburgh Penguins. She has a passion for working with kids and hopes to be an elementary teacher in the future.