Wellness

Top 5 Things to do During Fall in Maine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Fall is my favorite season in Maine. The air is cool and crisp, with cool mornings and warm afternoons. The foliage is stunning, with golden yellows and rustic oranges. The food is delicious, with apple and pumpkin flavored everything. Plus, who doesn’t love putting on their ankle booties and knit scarves?

Colby students are lucky to have a campus in central Maine because there are so many opportunities to enjoy what fall has to offer. I’ve come up with a list of five things any Colby student should do before our campus turns into a winter wonderland.

1. Hike The Beehive Trail in Acadia

Acadia National Park is only a two hour drive from campus and it offers some of the most stunning hikes in all of Maine. If you’re looking for a ‘bang for your buck’ hike, then check out the Beehive Trail. It takes about an hour to summit (depending on how often you stop for photos and how busy many people are hiking it that day). The trail itself is on the side of the mountain, therefore the path is narrow and has a cliff to one side of it. There are a few iron rung sections that are can be a bit scary if you have a fear of heights, but I promise that the views at the top are worth it. It only takes 15 or so minutes to start seeing the ocean views, but try to wait until the top to really soak it in. At the summit, there are magnificent views of Acadia National Park and Sand Beach. So what are you waiting for? Grab a group of friends and check out the Beehive. 

Bonus: Since the trailhead is only a quarter of a mile away from Sandy Beach, have a little picnic on beach after you finish hiking. Swimming in the ocean is a great way to cool and clean off before heading back to campus.

2. Swim at the Hume Center

The Hume Center is a short drive from campus and offers an easy getaway from campus. The dock area is perfect for basking in the sun and chilling with friends. Since Maine gets cold quickly, I recommend going to the Hume in September or early October. Whether you want to enjoy a pizza during sunset on the dock or spend an entire afternoon swimming in water, the Hume is one of the best parts of fall at Colby.

3. Go Apple Picking at Apple Farm

It truly wouldn’t be fall without going apple picking. Apple Farm in Fairfield, Maine is less than 10 miles from campus and offers a variety of apples to pick depending on the month. From McIntosh in early September to Golden Delicious in October, you’ll have plenty of apples to choose from. Wagons rides are given for transportation into the orchard which only adds to the experience. If you’ve never gone apple picking ever or haven’t gone this season, grab some friends and go! Once you’re done picking your apples, you can taste some sweet apple cider made fresh at Apple Farm and if you’re there in season, you might just be able to purchase some pumpkins for dorm decoration.

4. Check Out the Common Ground Fair

The Common Ground Fair is always the third weekend after Labor Day and is one of the most popular destinations in Maine each fall. The fair celebrates rural and agriculture traditions of Maine through a number of events and activities like sheep dog demonstrations, the Donkey and Mule Show, and Campfire Baking: Cinnamon Rolls (to name a few). The fair is also a great opportunity to purchase local and organic fruits, vegetables, meat, and more. There are a large number of Maine-based food vendors that promote sustainable practices so you know the food you’re eating is high quality. From wood fired pizza to apple cider, the food vendors reason enough to check out this fair. 

Pro tip: if you want to purchase a sweatshirt or t-shirt, get to the fair before 12noon. Merchandise sells fast!

5. Corn Maze and Donuts at Treworgy Orchard

The corn maze at Treworgy Orchards was voted the number 1 corn maze in the country by USA Today in 2018. Each fall, Treworgy offers a unique corn maze theme that attracts thousands of visitors every year. Themes have ranged from a knight slaying a dragon to Paul Bunyan. The orchard also has farm fresh chocolate, apple cider and pumpkin donuts as well as Giffords ice cream for my fellow foodies.

This is just a short list of some of my favorite fall activities, but I hope this post has inspired you to get outside and enjoy everything that fall has to offer!

Alexa is a senior at Colby College double majoring in Economics and French. She spent a semester studying in Switzerland and traveling across Europe. When she is not taking pictures of her food, she loves to ski the slopes of Sunday River and Sugarloaf, dance for Colby Dancers, and visit her CCAK mentee.