This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

More often than not, the Hip-Hop/Rap and R&B industries are dominated by male-identifying artists. It is with greater frequency that a Hip-Hop/Rap or R&B song that becomes mainstream and dominates the charts is written by a male artist. Many are familiar with the names Drake and Chris Brown, amongst others. While it is true that both of them have been creating music for over a decade now, it is still important to recognize that female artists struggle to gain the same level of popularity and appreciation. For this reason, I have created a playlist of ten songs by female artists in the Hip-Hop/Rap and R&B industries in order to spread and celebrate their music. Some are up and coming artists while others are already acclaimed in the industry. 

1. Come Thru by Summer Walker 

2. Too Much by Kehlani 

3. Tia Tamera by Doja Cat 

4. Fruit Salad by Tierra Whack 

5. Body Count by Jessie Reyez 

6. Consideration by Rihanna 

7. Lost in Love by 070 Shake

8. Rose in Harlem by Teyana Taylor

9. Triggered by Jhené Aiko

10. I’m So Into You by Aaliyah  

All of these songs are available on streaming platforms such as: Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Deezer, and iHeart Radio. If you enjoyed this compilation of songs, feel free to follow my ‘badass females’ playlist on Spotify here

Thought bubble...