Things I Wish I Had Known As A First Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

As the first week of school draws to a close, and I begin my junior year, I’m reminded of my feelings from my first semester at Colby. I was terrified to begin college yet excited at the same time. I went to a public school in Maine with only 130 kids per grade, and I had known my classmates since first grade. Thankfully, Colby isn’t significantly bigger; but, regardless, I was nervous. My first days on campus were amazing. I instantly clicked with my dormmates, became best friends with my roommate, and appreciated my newfound independence. However, looking back, there are a few things I wish I had known at the beginning of my year that would have helped me in the proceeding college years to come. 

1. Branch Out 

I was lucky to have made connections my first day on campus. My dorm loved going out together, getting lunch together, and hanging out in each other’s room. While this was awesome at first, it’s easy to confine yourself to one group or person. It’s comfortable, easy, and can be fun. However, as my dormmates made new friends, I made less of an effort to do so. When sports seasons began and my friends became busy and made new friends, it felt overwhelming, and somewhat isolating, to not be in the same position. I wish I had said more hellos the first weeks of school and hung out with more people! Just because you have made friends initially doesn’t mean you can’t make more. Now, as a junior, I appreciate having different groups of people I can count on. 

1. Join Everything You Can

Although the club fair has passed, don’t be afraid to join something you’re truly interested in! I held myself back my freshman year by not exploring. I became content with my routine of schoolwork and hanging out with the same people. Sophomore year, I began volunteering at a school down the road to help younger children learn math. I didn’t do it freshman year because none of my friends were involved with the program. Whether its a club, sport, volunteering, etc, having something to look forward to that you’re passionate about will make your experience at Colby fulfilling and fun. Plus, it’s a great way to become involved and meet more people.

1. Cut Down on the Clutter

I moved in with four giant duffle bags completely stuffed to the brim. I brought excess tank tops, coats, and FIFTEEN pairs of jeans. And I live an hour away from campus. If you’re in driving distance from home or plan to go back home at certain times of the year, plan accordingly. Lugging back half of my wardrobe was a pain! If I had brought what I actually needed until Thanksgiving and then brought my winter staples up after the break, it would have made life so much easier. I also had excess office supplies, decor… you name it. Plus, in the spring, move-out is a lot easier and less stressful when you don’t have to pack up a million things. 

1. Practice a Routine Early On

Whether it’s a school routine, exercise routine, self-care routine, or all three, it’s important to know your schedule and stick to it. It’s much easier to develop a routine and stick to it throughout the semester if you start early (before school piles on and midterms hit). You’ll hold yourself accountable and improve your time management skills! Personally, I use iCal and I block out my class times, times I plan to exercise, and times I plan to relax. Even on the busiest of days, my calendar helps me prioritize what needs to get done while still taking into account “me time.”  

1. It’s Okay to Stay In

If you’re not feeling it, don’t go out! You won’t miss that much, and chances are if your body is telling you to rest, you need it. Weekends are a great time to socialize, but also key to recharge for the upcoming week.

1. It’s Normal to Feel

My first year, I experienced emotional rollercoasters. Excitement, homesickness, tiredness, happiness, sadness, and so much more. It’s normal! It’s hard to adjust to a new place, and change is never easy. FaceTimes with family and best friend from high school still make my day. I guarantee your friends are in the exact same boat too. However, if you’re struggling, make sure to get the help you need. Friends are always a great option, as is the counseling center on campus. 

Most importantly, cherish your first year! Time flies by faster than you’ll think.

Katie is a junior at Colby College majoring in Economics and Mathematical Sciences from Cape Elizabeth, ME