Stop What You Are Doing– Game of Thrones Is Coming Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

I don’t know about you but I am personally invested in this final season of Game of Thrones. I’m warning you now that there will be some spoilers if you keep reading, but if you haven’t already caught up to season 8 by now, then maybe you need the spoilers. If you are ready to become a GOT fan and need a guide to all things plot-related, I’m here to help!

The final season (Season 8) of Game of Thrones premieres on HBO network April 14, 2019. That date also just so happens to be my birthday, so this feels like a cosmic birthday gift. No more waiting to see what Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow will do about their new-found love and kinship. And no more waiting to see how the North will handle the Night King’s destruction of The Wall (oops.. spoiler alert) We will soon find out.

With millions of devoted fans worldwide, 3 dragons, 7 seasons, and 7 kingdoms, there can only be one who ascends to the 1 only iron throne, that is before the Night King can turn everyone into the living dead (white walkers). Here’s a few things you need to know about GOT if you haven’t seen it yet.

What is GOT and what is it about?

The plot is set in two fictional continents, Westeros and Essos, where there are 7 main kingdoms, each with their own respective rulers fighting to claim succession of the Iron Throne, which rules over all 7 kingdoms. There are many noble families trying to take over the throne, including the Lannister family, the Greyjoy family, the Baratheon family, the Tyrell family and the Targaryen family. The last king of the throne (the Mad King) was the father of Daenerys Targaryen but he dies before the show starts, hence beginning the race for the right to the throne.

Wallpapers.net

While the rulers of the 7 kingdoms fight for the Iron Throne, an army of the undead (lead by the Night King) are slowly increasing their numbers to conquer mankind. The only thing that protects the living from the dead are the men who call themselves the Night’s Watch at The Wall (a 300 ft high, thick, almost impenetrable wall of ice) that stretches about 300 miles long.

Wallpapers.net

The plot starts with Lord Eddard Stark and the rest of the Stark family moving to King’s Landing. King Robert Baratheon assumed the throne after the Mad King and asked his dear friend Lord Eddard Stark, who was already Warden of the North (controller of the biggest kingdom in Westeros), to be the hand to the king (like his right-hand man). But soon Lord Eddard Stark learns that King’s Landing is filled with lies, deceit and danger all brought on by Robert’s wife, Cersei Lannister. She is probably the most murderous woman in the world.

As for the Targaryen family, the Mad King was killed by Jamie Lannister, Cersei’s brother who is also the center of multiple scandals that could start wars. The King was literally mad, like insane. He threatened to burn all of his enemies with wildfire. Robert Baratheon then killed all of the Targaryen children that could be heirs to the Iron throne, in order to secure his own spot on the throne, but alas, he missed two children. They were taken and raised in safety over in Essos. One of those children was Daenerys Targaryen, whom early on we find out is a bad b****.

Wallpapers.net

Once of age, Daenerys is wed to the head of a great Dothraki Army, then learns that she is Mother of Dragons and cannot be burned by fire. How awesome is that? She slowly gains allies and armies by overthrowing slave cities and implementing a new type of rule where woman aren’t abused and everyone is free. She plans to take her armies over to Westeros to overthrow whoever sits on the Iron Throne, because she believes that she is the rightful heir.

This conquest is however paused when Jon Snow, the bastard of Lord Eddard Stark, persuades her to join forces with him in order to defeat the Night King and his army. Jon Snow learns of an impending attack from the undead once he pledges to guard The Wall in the Night’s Watch. But Daenerys and Jon Snow are also at the center of another huge shocker that is revealed in the final episode of the latest season.

Various stories involving other characters happen along the way but in order to get those details you just have to watch it! I know I personally will glued to my TV watching the premiere on my b-day, April 14th.

Hi, I am Kyndell and I am so excited so share my crazy thoughts with all of you beautiful souls. I am an education major at Colby College and I also minor in Women's Gender Sexuality Studies. For most of my life going to college has always been a goal for me but having a an online network of girls between many universities is a dream that I could never have imagined being a part of. On my journey through out life I have made friends of all shapes and sizes that have helped shape me into the considerate young lady I am today.
Sydney is a senior at Colby originally from Wilmette, Illinois. She is a German Studies and English double major with a concentration in creative writing. On campus, Sydney is a COOT leader, member of Colby Dance Company, barista in the Mary Low Coffee House, a language assistant, and president of Colby's chapter of HC. When she isn't working, dancing, or writing, you can probably find her laughing at her own jokes or talking about the Midwest.