This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Ah, Spring in Maine! The weather gets warmer, the skies get clearer, and maybe a little green peeks out from beneath the snow. As the days become so much nicer, it can be tough to stay focused on schoolwork, right as the work really starts to pile on. As difficult as it can be to stay on your grind, I thought I’d list a few tips and tricks I use that help me stay organized when it becomes hard to!

Make a “To-Do” List

This tip is HUGE for me. I do this every day. It is incredibly helpful to list out your tasks for the day in terms of remembering what you have on your schedule, not to mention the satisfaction you get when you cross out an item. 

Find Something to Base Your Day Around

I find it easy to make a schedule for myself if I have a workout or something else to look forward to. Having a set time that I’m going to the gym or outside for a run really helps to keep me on track for the rest of the day. If I know that I HAVE to do something later, I am more likely to be productive in the current moment.

Choose 1 Class each Day to get Ahead

This trick is super helpful as work begins to really pick up. If every night you pick ONE of your classes to do a little extra work or get ahead on, you will feel so much better the next day because you’ve given yourself extra breathing room. I like to pick a class where I have a reading or a fairly easy task assigned, because even doing something simple feels good when you are crunched for time and have one less thing to worry about. 

Work with Someone to Keep Yourself Accountable 

If you have a friend in one of your classes or even someone you just know that you focus well around, set up a study date! Both you and your friend working at the same time is super motivating in terms of staying focused on your work. Just make sure you pick someone you can work well with without getting too distracted (although a little chatting/distracting can be a great break). 

I hope these tips are helpful during the spring semester! It really is a long haul, but I know everyone can get through it!

Natalie is a junior at Colby from Capitol Hill in Washington DC, but is currently abroad in Sweden! She is a Government major and an English minor here at Colby.